Radically different results from API and CC website

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regular Participant

Radically different results from API and CC website

I am seeing different results when I use the Constant Contact website to get information about an email address and when I query for the same email address through the mashery interface to use the v2 JSON API.  The user in question is shown normally through the website and subscribed to several of my lists.  Through the API they show as OPTOUT/REMOVED and are subscribed to no lists.  I get a 409 error when I attempt to update the user through the API, possibly because I am getting a completely out-of-date version of their record.

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 3.24.18 PM.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

In this case you are seeing a special case that can appear when there are duplicated contacts within your constant contact account. The discrepancy is happening because the API service currently receives a single result when we search for a contact by email address, and the result that we are receiving in this case is the older of the two contacts which is opted out. However, when you search the same email address in the UI, you see the newer of the two duplicated contacts who is active and assigned to many lists.

The best way to work around this issue is to use the API to change the email address of the older contact that is deleted/removed from the account but still visible through the API. This can be accomplished by adding a special character such as an underscore to the inactive duplicate contact that does not need to be used.

I also would like to mention that we definitely realize that this is not a good experience and that we are working directly with our contacts management team to build and implement a more elegant solution that will allow the API to properly see and manage contacts even in cases where there are duplicates like this.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Regular Participant

Here is the same record as seen on the website.

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 3.18.45 PM.png

Hello,

In this case you are seeing a special case that can appear when there are duplicated contacts within your constant contact account. The discrepancy is happening because the API service currently receives a single result when we search for a contact by email address, and the result that we are receiving in this case is the older of the two contacts which is opted out. However, when you search the same email address in the UI, you see the newer of the two duplicated contacts who is active and assigned to many lists.

The best way to work around this issue is to use the API to change the email address of the older contact that is deleted/removed from the account but still visible through the API. This can be accomplished by adding a special character such as an underscore to the inactive duplicate contact that does not need to be used.

I also would like to mention that we definitely realize that this is not a good experience and that we are working directly with our contacts management team to build and implement a more elegant solution that will allow the API to properly see and manage contacts even in cases where there are duplicates like this.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Regular Participant

Thank you.  I was able to change the bad record to a different address and then access the proper record.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page