Random success/failure updating "Removed" contacts

askrenes
Member

Random success/failure updating "Removed" contacts

When updating a contact that is currently in a "Removed" status (adding the contact to lists), the API randomly fails to update the contact.  There is never an error message.  I use the exact same XML (below) every time; however, sometimes it works and other times the contact is not updated and the API does not respond with an error.  Any idea what the problem could be?

 

<entry xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"><title type="text"></title><updated>2008-07-23T14:21:06.407Z</updated><author><name>Constant Contact</name></author><id>http://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/myusername/contacts/597</id><summary type="text">Contact</summary><content type="application/vnd.ctct+xml"><Contact xmlns="http://ws.constantcontact.com/ns/1.0/" id="http://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/myusername/contacts/597"><EmailAddress>askrenes@example.com</EmailAddress><FirstName>Andy</FirstName><LastName>Skrenes</LastName><MiddleName></MiddleName><OptInSource>ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER</OptInSource><HomePhone></HomePhone><Addr1>123 Anywhere</Addr1><Addr2>Suite 100</Addr2><Addr3></Addr3><City>Madison</City><StateCode>WI</StateCode><StateName>Wisconsin</StateName><CountryCode>us</CountryCode><CountryName>United States</CountryName><PostalCode>53719-2068</PostalCode><SubPostalCode></SubPostalCode><EmailType>HTML</EmailType><WorkPhone>8887664734x7993</WorkPhone><JobTitle>Lead Software Developer</JobTitle><CompanyName>Test Company</CompanyName><Note></Note><CustomField1></CustomField1><CustomField2></CustomField2><CustomField3></CustomField3><CustomField4></CustomField4><CustomField5></CustomField5><CustomField6></CustomField6><CustomField7></CustomField7><CustomField8></CustomField8><CustomField9></CustomField9><CustomField10></CustomField10><CustomField11></CustomField11><CustomField12></CustomField12><CustomField13></CustomField13><CustomField14></CustomField14><CustomField15></CustomField15><ContactLists><ContactList id="http://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/myusername/lists/6"><link xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" href="http://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/myusername/contacts/597" rel="self"></link><OptInSource>ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER</OptInSource></ContactList></ContactLists></Contact></content></entry>

 

 

 

 

 

6 REPLIES 6
DaveBerard
Moderator

Thanks for reporting this.  We actually just reproduced this issue this morning and have our developers looking into it right now.  Sorry for the confusion on this as we know that the response code is not currently indicating what is actually happening.  Will update as soon as we have more information on a resolution.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

This is kind of a big deal.  Any sort of timeframe on a fix?

I don't have a timeline currently but we are working this as a high priority defect.  I hope to have more information soon, but currently all I can say is that we've identified the cause of the problem and are working on as quick a resolution as we can provide.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

Now I'm getting an Internal Server Error when using the exact same code, only it's not random.  It's all the time:

 

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.]

A separate thread was also created for this last reply.

Mark Coleman
Support Engineer

An update on this issue.  We did identify the cause of the sporadic issues.  We've put a fix for this in and you should no longer see sporadic updates not working correctly.  This doesn't impact 500 errors, which are usually caused by XML data being incorrect and causing an XML parsing error on our servers. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page