Hey, thanks for the reply - but I'm still not quite getting the answer I'm looking for. Just trying to clarify here:
"You do need to add a contact to a list first. Then you can schedule a campaign to send to that list."
- So we add a contact to a list via the API. Then - are you saying we can schedule a campaign to send to that list through the API, and then get clicks/opens that way?
Autoresponders are not available in the API. This means you cannot create them, schedule them, or view them in the API. You would need to log in to the website UI in order to do any of these actions. However; once you have your Autoresponder created and scheduled you do not need to modify it anymore after that. Once it is scheduled it stays in that status and all you need to do is to add contacts to the list that you attached to the contact.
The adding of contacts to a list can be done via the API.
OK. Got it.
So with the API, is there any possible way (we don't really mind how) to take an email address, send an email to that address, and then monitor results? Maybe I'm missing something.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here. So AutoResponders is your name for automatically adding customers from a list to a campaign, correct? And there is no API support for those.
Which is fine - we don't necessarily need that extra step of adding to a list first, then having that add them to the campaign through an autoresponder - as long as we can add a user to the campaign directly. I can't seem to find this either though. Otherwise, how would you expect people to complete the basic loop of 1) Send email -> 2) Track results through the API?
Again, apologies if I'm missing something or not understanding this properly. I just wanted to make 100% sure that this isn't currently possible because it seems like that would be the most basic/core functionality that an API for an email marketing platform would have.
This is what I have been doing:
- using the web interface, create a new list for the autoresponder, and set up the autoresponder to send to anyone added to the list.
- using the API, add new users to the list with the ACTION_BY_VISITOR option. That causes the addition of the email to trigger the autoresponder.
- using the API, query the contacts and filter to a short list by the list_id that is used for the autoresponder.
- for recently added contacts in that list, query get-activities for each contact through the API. You will get the send, open, and click activities for all of the autoresponder emails even though those 'campaigns' are not otherwise available. Figure out which campaign_id belongs to which email in the series and build yourself a lookup table.
- you can now report sends, opens, and clicks for each email in the autoresponder series.
It is a lot of queries and manipulation to get the results, but it is better than nothing...
I want to mention that an Autoresponder is a specific type of email campaign that is designed to automatically send out when a contact is added to a list. This is different than our normal email campaigns. That might have been a small bit of confusion.
There are reporting options for our normal email campaigns available from the API. However; for reporting information from an Autoresponder campaign @AnalyticsEdge did an amazing job of describing how to pull that data from the contacts reporting.
Understood. Is there a way to send an email to someone without using an autoresponder so we can track results from it? Can we add an email to a campaign directly?
When sending out a standard email campaign it does have to be sent a contact list. The contact list then has your email addresses in it. The only way to send an email campaign to a single email address is with an option called QuickSend and that option is only available in our website UI.
So again - just looking for a verbal admission/confirmation here that your API has no way (out of the box / without some crazy workaround) to add contacts to a campaign, send it, and track results.
Can you confirm this?
View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.
We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...Read More