cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resubscribing

Occasional Participant

Resubscribing

I have had a search on here and found some answers but can't see how to apply it to what I am seeing.

I have created a classic ASP class which I have creating, finding, and deleting contacts - that all works OK.

Now I want to add a routine for resubscriptions - my delete is just that - I issue a DELETE against the contact.

When I fetch that same contact I can see the status is set to Do Not Mail, and there is no mention of Lists presumbaly because they are removed from all automatically when I delete?

The help I have found on here suggests issuing a PUT against the contact after updating the Lists section of the XML, but I have none, and the status suggests they would remain unsubscribed anyway. The action will always come from the contact themselves of course.

What is the best approach for adding back to the original mailing list and reactivating the contact?

5 REPLIES 5
CTCT Employee

resubscribing

Hello,

The way our system works, it does remove all of the lists when someone unsubscribes.  When resubscribing, the best way to get back the original lists would be to either allow the contact to choose their lists again when they resubscribe, or to do a GET right before the DELETE when unsubscribing and take store that data on your end, of what lists the contacts were in.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

But How?

Hi

They will only ever be in one list so that bit is quite simple.

How do they resubscribe? Using the API to add a contact it errors that they already exist, so how do we get out of Do Not Mail Status and back onto the list?

This is the last issue we need to work through before we can sign up fully - it seems a liitle over complicated to do such a simple task?

Or can we just overwrite the status and add back in the list sections to the XML and PUT the contact to update it?

CTCT Employee

opting back in

Hello,

In order to have a customer resubscribe using the API's, you must do a PUT call to the contacts URI with their contact XML and include new contact lists. The OptInSource must be ACTION_BY_CONTACT because the contact needs to be the one resubscribing. You can find more information about it here.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
All Star

Re: opting back in

this is where your "here" link in the last paragraph goes:

"I could've sworn I put that page right here..."-- Ted, Development Chimpanzee

Re: opting back in

Hello,

This post is in regards to how to make this update using our older V1 API which has been deprecated. The equivalent documentation in our current V2 API can be found here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/contacts-resource.html?method=PUT

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Regards,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer