The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

SSL Certificate Issue?? Certificate returned is not for api.constantcontact.com?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

SSL Certificate Issue?? Certificate returned is not for api.constantcontact.com?

Hello,

Just started experiencing an issue trying to connect to the API.  When the server is making a call to "https://api.constantcontact.com" the certificate returned does not list api.constantcontact.com as a host name (listed host names are integration.store.nest.com, www.integration.store.nest.com, and integration.store.nest.com).

This first caused an issue on 7/25. 

Error (thrown from Java):

I/O Exception: hostname in certificate didn't match: <api.constantcontact.com> != <integration.store.nest.com> OR <www.integration.store.nest.com> OR <integration.store.nest.com>

This is preventing our integration from working.  Please advise.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: SSL Certificate Issue?? Certificate returned is not for api.constantcontact.com?

Hello,

We have been looking into this issue you are experiencing and we will likely need some additional information to find out what is happening. The best way to accomplish this is to send us an email as webserivces@constantcontact.com with the following information:

• What API endpoint is you application attempting to call when you receive this error?
  • Is there any response received? If so, can you provide the details that were received

I also wanted to note that it appears that your application is expecting the security certificate to be for one of the three provided nest.com subdomains. However, the certificate returned by the API will be for api.constantcontact.com, as that is the domain used for API requests. IS it possible that your API calls are going through some form of a forwarding service and that it may be having problems becuase of that?

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: SSL Certificate Issue?? Certificate returned is not for api.constantcontact.com?

Hi Elijah,

Thank you for responding.  I will send you an email with the details I have after I hear back from our server host supprot team.  I have just asked our server host to try and clear any cache of SSL certificates the server may have.  My thought was that both the Constant Contact and Nest Integration APIs used the Mashery and so perhaps in the July update a server was used for Constant Contact that had been used for Nest??  Not sure.  I do see the SSL certificate returned to my browser when I go to api.constantcontact.com is correct. 

So my theory is it accidently sent the wrong SSL certificate, our server has that cached now, and even though it is correct now, Java won't let me connect but clearing the cache may fix it (I hope). 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just to follow up I had our server host restart the server which cleared the cache and everything is working again.  Thanks for the help!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the follow-up on this and it's good hear that you are up and running! If anything else comes up, please let us know!

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured