Testing

Occasional Participant

Testing

Hi,
I am a first time user of constatcontact and I am little bit puzzled about not being able to completely remove the contacts from the administration area.

In order for me to test my app(simple add contact for newsletter) I have to provide a valid email.
I only have 3 valid email addresses and I cannot completely remove them from the administration area.
Just removing them and using one of those email addresses to test my app does not work.

Using the code provided by constatcontact(AddContactPHPScript) I get the following error Email address (myemail@yahoo.com) is already a contact

So how can I test my app using the same email address?

Thank You

PS: I already have 5 "fake" email addresses in the system. I don't want my clients to see those emails.
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Stefan,

The short answer is no, there is no way to permanently remove all record of an address from your account.

The way we manage Contacts is to keep a record of all email addresses for the lifetime of the account. Using test addresses for testing scripts is pretty common and they can be moved to the Do Not Mail section of your account after so no accidental mailings are done and they are not in the active view. Another alternative would be to do updates (PUT) instead of add new contacts (POST). This will allow you to test the functionality with the same address.
Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Can you pint me in the right direction to do a PUT

Thx

We have a php PUT example here that you can look at. It's not much of a change from a PUSH, basically just a slightly different XML Doc and changing the HTTP request type.
Dave Berard
Occasional Participant

Where specifically is the example for  PUT? You are linking to a page with a bunch of links. If you click on update contact there is a simply a URL. Why can't you go through all this content and consolicate specific examples so people can actually find out how to do stuff?

Hi Judy, the post you're referencing is about almost 3 years old.  At this time, we have complete wrapper libraries for both PHP, .NET and ColdFusion, as well as open source wrappers for Java, Ruby and some other common languages which were developed by the open source community. 

The example you referenced was to show how to do a PUT request in PHP, which is actually a custom request type in PHP 5.x since they only support POST and GET as part of the core language.  This was originally intended to help PHP developers understand how to do a PUT custom request.  Since we've release the PHP wrapper library, that post is no longer very useful except as an education item for PHP developers who want to learn more about how to do requests with cURL in PHP 5.x

Dave Berard
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page