Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total number of active contacts in account

Highlighted
Developer

Total number of active contacts in account

Hello,

Is it possible to retrieve the total number of active contacts in an account through the REST API?

I.e. the "ACTIVE CONTACTS" number from the front page of the Constant Contact UI.

I saw some questions on this board from 2009 and 2011 asking the same thing - has this feature been added in the last few years?  It is a very important number for my users and would be great to be able to access through the API.

Thank you,

Simon

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Total number of active contacts in account

Unfortunately that is not currently available through the API.  Definitely something we're hoping to get in but is currently unavailable to us to expose externally.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Is there a better workaround than retrieving all the contacts via the Contacts Collection Endpoint and counting them on my end?  We have over 50k contacts so retrieving the entire contact object for each of them means a lot of overhead.

Highlighted

At this time, there are only a couple of options and neither is overly great.  You could page through the contacts and count yourself, which sounds like you are doing.  Alternatively, you could do a bulk export of all the active contacts and count that way.  The limitation of that method is that it is async and could take 5+ minutes for the bulk job to process and export.  Not good for real time UI design at all.

We will bring this problem back to our Contact Management team again and see if this is something we can solve natively and just return the system lists with current counts as the UI does.  We're looking at all of our Contacts endpoints under the covers now to do upgrades for both performance and functionality over the few months already and this is a perfect item to add to that list.

Dave Berard
Highlighted
Developer

I'll look into the bulk export.  Maybe I can cache this on my end periodically and use that to provide a count.

I look forward to your updates over the next few months.  Apart from checking the forum, what is the best way to stay up to date with API updates (is there an email list I can subscribe to)?

Highlighted

We publish all of our release notes on our TechBlog (http://techblog.constantcontact.com/).  We also have a Developer Newsletter that we periodically send out updates, educational materal and release note links to.  You can find the signup form for that newsletter on the techblog.

Dave Berard