The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Unable to view/update custom fields using API

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Unable to view/update custom fields using API

We initially built our contact database by uploading a text file. One of the fields was "refno". After the file was uploaded,

if I use the web front end - and search for an email address - and bring up the detail - I can see "Refno" with it's appropriate

value.

However, when I download that same contact using the API - the custom fields node is always blank.

If I set the custom field and try to update the record using the API - I get a message saying it found the custom field on file, but

was unable to use it.

How do I go about viewing and/or setting the custom field for maintaining the contact list with the API - without having to upload the list using

the front web front end?

Thanks

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to view/update custom fields using API

Hello,

Based on what you're seeing, the cause of this is that the API is currently only able to interact with custom fields that follow a very specific naming convention that is covered here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/api-gui-func.html

In order to manage your custom field data with the API, it will be required to move the contact data to a new field with a name matching what is described in the link above. This could be done with the following steps:

1. Create a new Custom Field using the naming scheme described above
  2. Export your contact list from Constant Contact
  3. Re-import that list, assigning the "Refno" field to the new Custom Field
  4. The custom field will now appear on API interactions and be used freely in the bulk and individual contact APIs.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Sincerely

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to view/update custom fields using API

Hello,

Based on what you're seeing, the cause of this is that the API is currently only able to interact with custom fields that follow a very specific naming convention that is covered here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/api-gui-func.html

In order to manage your custom field data with the API, it will be required to move the contact data to a new field with a name matching what is described in the link above. This could be done with the following steps:

1. Create a new Custom Field using the naming scheme described above
  2. Export your contact list from Constant Contact
  3. Re-import that list, assigning the "Refno" field to the new Custom Field
  4. The custom field will now appear on API interactions and be used freely in the bulk and individual contact APIs.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Sincerely

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured