The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Using API to trigger the Join My Mailing List...

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Using API to trigger the Join My Mailing List...

New to Constant Contact and enjoying this entire system!

I have an external proprietary registration system that we have been exporting new registrees to my constant contact system via. excel exports.  Don't like it.  Been reading the API information, but don't see any functionallity that will work for my system. 

Is there a way to trigger the Join My Mailing List with some API code that is executed by the submit button for the external registration?  This way the user will have a popup browser window just like if they visited the Join My Mailing List on the website. 

Any thoughts, suggestions, code?  :)

Thanks for your help!

Joe

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Using API to trigger the Join My Mailing List...

Hi Joe,

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you looking for a sign up form for your website that functions like the JMML does? Or do you have a signup form that already deposits contacts into your external proprietary registration system, and you just want that same form you automatically put them in your Constant Contact in addition to that system?

Either way we can likely help get you started on a solution, I just want to make sure I'm understanding so I can give you the best information possible.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi David, To be honest, I

Hi David,

To be honest, I don't know how to answer your question.  :)   Let me simply the steps I'm trying to accomplish:

NOTE:  Assume this process is on a proprietary registration server.

1)  User fills out registration form

2)  When they press the submit button, the data is entered into the registration database system, but using the email, first and last names listed triggers a hidden JMML activation as though they entered their email in the JMML box preconfigured.

3)  The JMML popup and user verifies email, selects categories, etc.

Does this make sense?

I took the JMML code from my website and removed icons, hid the "ea" text field.  I've tried to copy the email address from the registration text field to the ccoptin "ea" input field, but no go.  My hopes was to trigger the JMML when they hit the registration's submit button.

Joe

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Hi David, To be honest, I

This is certainly something that can be done, but not something we have preconfigured. Logically what would need to happen when the submit button is pressed, in addition to submitting that information into your database, it would either automatically submit those contacts to Constant Contact, or pop up another 'confirmation' page asking to select categories etc.

There are certainly some more elegant solutions that might offer some more customizability, but I believe you may be able to get the JMML to fit  your needs with relatively little work.

If you were to generate the actual link address  from the JMML form generator in your account (see this FAQ for details). You can then append &ea={emailAddress} to this URL, and replace {emailAddress} with whatever the submitted address from your form is which will trigger the JMML for that particular email address. You would just need to make your form redirect to or open this URL in a new window.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions or are interested in some other options that would involve more customizability (but more work) please let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hello David, That FAQ link is

Hello David,

That FAQ link is not working.  Giving off some error. 

Thanks,

Joe

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Hello David, That FAQ link is

Sorry about that, the link should be working now.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

It is working now and here is

It is working now and here is what I came up with:

http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=qvxnr9dab&p=oi&m=1103623544496&ea=billboob@makebeli...

What are the other fields on the ccoptin form?  Can I pass the First and Last name like this also?

Joe

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi again David,   Ok... I'm

Hi again David,

Ok... I'm going to bite.  What would be some more elegant options?  Any samples to view?  Hahaha... This link works fine, except for not being able to push the names to that page.

What if my user has already confirmed their email address and we just want them to chose categories?  This would be a different process than those who go to our JMML form on the website. 

Is it possible to have two systems:  1) JMML Form and 2) backdoor processor through our registration form?

Throw some thoughts at me, I'd apprciate it.

Joe

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Hi again David, Ok... I'm

There are options that would allow you to present your own customized form that would add or update contacts in 1 step (whereas our JMML is a two step process to update a contact). We have some pieces of sample code available on our Code Samples page which would certainly be helpful in this process, but it would absolutely involve more work than using the JMML. This would basically involve Searching for a Contact by Email Address to determine if they exist or not, and then either updating that contact, or creating a new contact based on the results of that search.

In the event your user has already confirmed their email address and is just looking to update their list subscriptions, the JMML will recognize that is the case and send them an email allowing them to make those necessary changes. This ability is part of the reason that the JMML is a quicker and easier solution to implement.

Regarding populating the first name and last name from the JMML, unfortunately this is not something it is able to do (which is part of its limitation). We need to decide which fields to populate for each customer so there is a page between the link you would use, and the actual page that the users would see, and it does not support passing any other variables other than 'ea' to the JMML.

David J

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured