Using CC for Summary Reports

Participant

Using CC for Summary Reports

Has anyone use CC to create Summary Reports to mail to their customers?

I was considering using SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) to send the reports, but I'd need to send 10,000 emails.  Given SSRS doesn't support trottling and  'Precedence: bulk', I'd simply be asking to be blacklisted.

So I called a CC this morning (7 AM mind you) and the customer rep was totally awesome helping me answer my questions.

Here's what I've worked out.

• Given each report is unique to each user, I could use the <Custom field 1...15/> to surface the uniqueness of the report.

• I could then create a Campaign whose body leverages the <Custom field/> to create a unique report per user.

In theory...;)

Here's where things get a little complicated.

This would mean everytime I update the report, I'd need to iterate through all the Contacts to update the Unique Fields.  LOTS of Transactions.

Questions:

• Is there a way to do a Bulk Customer Update?  So, I don't have to iterate my list?

• Does the server throttle my chattiness, when I try to update 10,000+ Customers every time I run the report?

• Is there another way to do this?

Great product, and I hope to do business with y'all.

Dylan Phillips

1 REPLY 1
Employee

Hello,

It is possible, using our API's, to create an automated process that bulk updates all contacts with new information. You would need to develop the mechanism that updates the contacts with the new information though.

If you were to update 10,000 contacts, it usually takes only a few minutes. This may give or take depending on server load at the time, but under normal circumstances we normally have under a one hour SLA for something of that size to finish, and usually it will only take a minute or two.

The only other way to do this would be to update the contacts by importing a spreadsheet with new information on the contacts every time you want to update the list. Also please keep in mind that when using the dynamic data, there is a character limit of 50 characters for each contact detail, and there are about 30 different contact fields.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page