cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
You deserve the best.
Beginning Saturday 2/15 we will be upgrading our phone system to ensure we are providing you with the best possible experience.
Due to this upgrade, we will be limited to Chat support only on Saturday from 10-8 pm ET.
On Monday, President's Day, we plan to have both Chat and Phone support available from 10-6 pm ET on the new system.
Thank you for your patience while we make these important updates.

Using custom fields in a hyperlink

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Using custom fields in a hyperlink

Hi all,

I've seen several posts pertaining to this question, but it seems like they are all either outdated solutions, or have answers linking to pages that no longer exist.

I just want to place a link in my email with custom field data included, e.g.

<a href="http://www.site.com/index.php?id=CUSTOM FIELD 1">link</a>

Is this doable?

2 REPLIES 2
Regular Advisor

Re: Using custom fields in a hyperlink

Hello,

Thanks for posting.  Our API allows XHTML emails, in addition to normal HTML emails.  XHTML emails allow you to include dynamic content, based on the individual it goes to.  A full how to use XHTML is in our advanced editor guide, located here:

http://img.constantcontact.com/docs/pdf/building-your-emails-with-the-advanced-editor-tool-constant-...

So you could instert <Property name="Subscriber.CustomField1"/> into a url to embed the custom field you wanted.  There is tighter validation with XHTML (specified in the guide), so you may need to make some additional changes as well.  I hope the information helps.

Andrew B.

API Support

Highlighted
Solution Provider

Re: Using custom fields in a hyperlink

Your idea is great in theory, but Constant Contact does not allow it.  I've tried every which way from Sunday to use a custom field inside of a link and it seems to be impossible. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG. At first I thought the issue was related to using single and double quotes, but that appears to irrelevant. In order to create a hyperlynk you have to start with <a href="Then your link goes here">link text</a>  But in order to use a custom field you have to use something like: <Property name="SUBSCRIBER.ADDRESSLINE3"/> Which gives you the following code:

<a href='<Property name="SUBSCRIBER.ADDRESSLINE3"/>'>link text</a> (I switched the double quotes in the href out for single quotes so that the double quotes around the name would not cancel out the href and it still doesn't work.

It appears that Constant Contact cannot think of a scenario where you would ever want to link to a custom field, much less link an image to a custom field.