I just got off the phone with support (for an hour) and there's been a HUGE change that was not communicated to developers.
THE APIs NOW ACCEPT DUPLICATE EMAIL ADDRESSES.
When your account moves to the new contact format (I'm not sure what percentage of customers are already converted), the APIs will no longer filter out duplicates. If you make a request to add a contact whose address already exists, it will be added even if the email address is already in your contacts.
This also affects bulk imports via the APIs! Beware!
Needless to say, I'm very upset that this wasn't properly communicated to developers. This will take me weeks to fix in my applications.
Thanks Dave, and some of our Austrailia SyncApps subscribers (Parking & Traffic Consultants is one of the accounts) seem to be experiencing this too with duplicate contacts as well using Zoho CRM to Constant Contact.
Let us know if our Constant Contact Large Test account can be upgraded to the new CRM so our SyncApps team can test out how to overcome this as we migrate SyncApps to new V2 API then test it with new Constant Contact CRM?
Happy New Year from all of us @cazoomi:)
If you could email me the username, I can check with our migration team to see if we can get it in one of our upcoming waves. The decisions on when to migrate accounts are handled by them but will explain the situation. Will respond via email if we can schedule the account to be migrated and, if so, what the date of the migration will be.
I don't feel like you've been adequately keeping us in the loop about what's going on with the development of a fix for this issue. My account still has over 20,000 contacts in the system, and now it seems that you've done nothing to notify billing of the situation. My account has been being billed incorrectly for the last three months due to the duplicate emails in my contact list.
I expect that this will be corrected. Please respond with the status of the removal of these contacts and how and when you'll be adjusting the balance on our accounts.
Sorry for the delay in updating on progress. At this time, our DBA team is still investigating how we can resolve the issues effectively for impacted customers without causing system outages or performance impact to our customer base. I do not have any ETA on the resolution.
I have worked with our billing team to explain the situation to them and have them resolve the billing issues for your account. They may have already reached out to you by now to explain what their resolution is. If not, I will check on the status of that today.
Any Updates on the status of the duplicate contact cleanup?
This seems to have affected at least one of our clients who now have duplicate contacts. I think this issue may be causing another problem where some (all?) REMOVE_CONTACTS_FROM_LISTS activities are failing with the error below. If that is a different problem then I'll start a new thread for it.
Error returned from API v.1
com.roving.RovingServerException: Unexpected ContactServiceFailedToRespondException in RestClient.run. User Data: agentUID=0sTrackingSchema=null
No immediate update, still waiting on our Contacts management team and our DBA team to find a solution that doesn't impact our production performance (I.E. taking down contact management for a few hours while we fix data is just not an acceptable solution for us).
The issues you have reported, the com error, is a known performance issue that we're actively working on. We've made strides to reduce the occurance of that (~92% reduction in occurances). However, we have some big challenges on the technology side to get that number down to 0 errors. At this point, we're pursuing a couple of potential solutions, both of which are longer term ones. I have no short term expectations that we can completely resolve those performance issues.
Hey Dave, any feasible plans from the 2 teams yet on this?
We're working on a solution now, team is in the early testing phases now. Basically, we are building a new version of our bulk import services internally. The new version will be able to scale without performance issues and allow us to resolve these issues. I don't have an ETA on the release but early testing is positive.
Thanks for checking in. Can certainly share an update on this. We're in the final testing phase (performance and functional) for rolling out a new version of our bulk import. Identified a couple of defects we need to polish up before releasing it but overall the performance testing passed with flying colors. We're hopeful to release this to production in the next couple of weeks, which should eliminate all of the errors developers are seeing around bulk imports.
We will be including this in our release notes on our tech blog (http://techblog.constantcontact.com) when we get this out to production.
They are duplicate emails such as:
There is also an API to find duplicates but must be done one by one our team let me know today.
Search by email will return all subscribers with the specified email then you could just put back the unique email via API to your Constant Contact account.
While I appreciate you trying to help, I don't think you understand the gravity of my situation. Due to the bug in the API that allowed contact email addresses to be added multiple times via the batch import, there are almost 18,000 duplicate email addresses in my account. Finding and removing them one by one would take months.
On November 25, 2013, Dave Beard committed to proactively fixing the user accounts that were affected by the API bug. Four and a half months later, I still have thousands of duplicate emails in my account waiting for correction, I've been erroneously billed hundreds of dollars due to the additional contacts in my account, and my accounting team is very annoyed at the monthly low balance notifications.
All I'm asking for is an update on the duplicate contact removal that was promised several months ago.