cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

WARNING: DUPLICATE EMAILS NOW ACCEPTED THROUGH APIs

Occasional Advisor

Re: WARNING: DUPLICATE EMAILS NOW ACCEPTED THROUGH APIs

Dave,

Any Updates on the status of the duplicate contact cleanup?

This seems to have affected at least one of our clients who now have duplicate contacts. I think this issue may be causing another problem where some (all?) REMOVE_CONTACTS_FROM_LISTS activities are failing with the error below.  If that is a different problem then I'll start a new thread for it.

Error returned from API v.1

com.roving.RovingServerException: Unexpected ContactServiceFailedToRespondException in RestClient.run. User Data: agentUID=0sTrackingSchema=null

Highlighted

No immediate update, still waiting on our Contacts management team and our DBA team to find a solution that doesn't impact our production performance (I.E. taking down contact management for a few hours while we fix data is just not an acceptable solution for us). 

The issues you have reported, the com error, is a known performance issue that we're actively working on.  We've made strides to reduce the occurance of that (~92% reduction in occurances).  However, we have some big challenges on the technology side to get that number down to 0 errors.  At this point, we're pursuing a couple of potential solutions, both of which are longer term ones.  I have no short term expectations that we can completely resolve those performance issues.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Tags (1)
Valued Developer

Hey Dave, any feasible plans from the 2 teams yet on this?

1. No immediate update, still waiting on our Contacts management team and our DBA team to find a solution that doesn't impact our production performance (I.E. taking down contact management for a few hours while we fix data is just not an acceptable solution for us). 
~Clint
@cazoomi

We're working on a solution now, team is in the early testing phases now.  Basically, we are building a new version of our bulk import services internally.  The new version will be able to scale without performance issues and allow us to resolve these issues.  I don't have an ETA on the release but early testing is positive. 

Dave Berard
Valued Developer

Thanks Dave and happy testing:)

~Clint
@cazoomi
Valued Developer

It's been a month. Any update? 

Thanks for checking in.  Can certainly share an update on this.  We're in the final testing phase (performance and functional) for rolling out a new version of our bulk import.  Identified a couple of defects we need to polish up before releasing it but overall the performance testing passed with flying colors.  We're hopeful to release this to production in the next couple of weeks, which should eliminate all of the errors developers are seeing around bulk imports.

We will be including this in our release notes on our tech blog (http://techblog.constantcontact.com) when we get this out to production.

Dave Berard
Valued Developer

And what about cleaning up the thousands of duplicate contacts in our accounts?

Tags (1)
Valued Developer

Askrenes, do you happen to know if these duplicates are unique email duplicates or multiples of duplicate emails?

~Clint
@cazoomi
Valued Developer

They are duplicate emails such as:

example@example.com

example@example.com

example@example.com

example@example.com

example@example.com

example@example.com

example@example.com