cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: DUPLICATE EMAILS NOW ACCEPTED THROUGH APIs

Valued Developer

Re: WARNING: DUPLICATE EMAILS NOW ACCEPTED THROUGH APIs

Askrenes,

There is also an API to find duplicates but must be done one by one our team let me know today.  

Search by email will return all subscribers with the specified email then you could just put back the unique email via API to your Constant Contact account.

Might work.

~Clint
@cazoomi
Valued Developer

Hi Clint,

While I appreciate you trying to help, I don't think you understand the gravity of my situation. Due to the bug in the API that allowed contact email addresses to be added multiple times via the batch import, there are almost 18,000 duplicate email addresses in my account. Finding and removing them one by one would take months. 

On November 25, 2013, Dave Beard committed to proactively fixing the user accounts that were affected by the API bug. Four and a half months later, I still have thousands of duplicate emails in my account waiting for correction, I've been erroneously billed hundreds of dollars due to the additional contacts in my account, and my accounting team is very annoyed at the monthly low balance notifications. 

All I'm asking for is an update on the duplicate contact removal that was promised several months ago. 

I unfortunately still do not have any update on this getting completed.  Fixing the data requires support from our Contact Management product team.   We have a ticket open with them to look into this and fix it, however we have not been able to get the priority on this specific issue high enough to get it into a release as yet.  This has not been forgotten about but we also don't have any immediate updates on this clean up.  I will share this again with that team and see what we can do. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Valued Developer

Thanks Askrenes and out team was speaking to polling those 18000 and removing duplicate via SyncApps with just keeping the master Contact.  CRM to Constant Contact using SyncApps would allow this tactic to work we think as you would end up with a true set of 1 unique email in Constant Contact, removing all the duplicates via the API.

Hope that clarifies a bit,

~Clint
@cazoomi
Occasional Advisor

Some of our clients are asking about this issue again so I'm wondering if there are any updates or ETA on the release of this fix that I can pass along? Last we heard about a month ago it was possibly a couple weeks away.

Tags (3)
Highlighted

No updates so far on this one.  Our Contact Management team has been looking at this but has been working on some other issues that are higher priotity on their list.  Definitely something we need to clean up on our side through database cleanup which is something that is high level of effort for us at scale.  Need to make sure we do no harm while making the updates.

Will pass on your update request. 

Dave Berard
Tags (2)
Valued Developer

TGIF:)

Dave, we had a couple of these in July so is there a workaround for folks getting duplicates when syncing from their CRM using SyncApps?

~Clint
@cazoomi
Honored Contributor

Hi Clint,

If the duplicates are happening in small enough quantities, there is a simple work-around where you can change the email address for one of the two duplicates to include a few characters of "garbage" such as "zzz_". You can then delete that contact without worry that it may match some future import and be brought back to the account. For large-scale issues there is not currently a better method available.

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Valued Developer

Thanks Elijah and unfortunately most of our SyncApps subscribers have over 5k-10k contacts so when 1000+ or so have this issue they are kinda stuck on this issue.

~Clint
@cazoomi

Wanted to make sure we gave an update on this.  Our Contacts Management team has gone through all of our accounts in production and merged duplicate Contacts into single records.  This was only Contacts with identical information, I.E. accidental duplications from multiple imports.

We do support having the same email address on multiple Contacts, so having multiple Contacts with the same email address is considered a valid use case.  We believe we accounted for the vast majority of the duplication reported by developers in this thread in our cleanup efforts.  If anyone sees something which should have been accounted for but was not, please provide information such as the account name (or email use the account information via webservices@constantcontact.com) so we can check out the specifics of those accounts.

We do have an open issue where duplicate Contacts can be created through parallel requests in the API (two POST requests with the same information occuring virtually at the same time).  Long term, we want to put some defensive meassures in place to prevent this.  However, this is not a simple problem for us to solve and it is not a short term fix for us.  In the short term, we recommend to developers to not attempt to POST the exact same Contact information at the same time. 

Dave Berard