The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Working with email campaigns that are already sent

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Working with email campaigns that are already sent

Hi everyone,

How do i edit and email content of an email content after it has already been sent. What i am trying to do is change some email content in the email campaign and schedule it for another contactlist

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Working with email campaigns that are already sent

do we need more special permissions for this ?

Highlighted

First off, once a Campaign has been sent, it is no longer modifiable in any way.  In order to make changes to the content, you would actually need to copy the Campaign and make the changes in the new Campaign.

If you are looking to do this through the API, this is completely possible for any custom HTML code emails.  This is not possible through template emails, our editor and template content is only available through the UI. 

You can find more information on using our Campaigns through the API here: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Email-Campaigns-Overview/ba-p/25969

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Alright, let say i create a copy of this,  do i have to redo all my html even if i only have to make minor modifications for the new campaign that i am creating? And  also is there a way to reuse the same email campaign name for the copy.

Highlighted

The flow would end up like this:

1. Get the current contents of the Campaign you want to copy (http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Obtaining-a-Campaign-s-Information/ba-p/25049)

2. Update the material that must be updated, this is done through whatever HTML/Content editor you are providing or using for this service

2b. Change the name of the Campaign as this is a unique value in Constant Contact, using a date/time is often an easy way to do this

3. Create a new Campaign using the updated content (http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Creating-a-Campaign/ba-p/25047)

So the short answers are: you will only need to update the content you want, though the method you would use is dependant on the editing environment you are using/implementing and you will need to use a new unique name, though this name is only used for internal storing in Constant Contact and is not seen by anyone receiving the email.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Here is my scenario:  I sent an email with an error in the subject line.  I have new contacts.  I wanted to send this to them, via your lovely and efficient function that allows us to send only to new people, but I want to correct the typo first.  Apparently, this isn't possible.  So instead, I have to copy the email, correct it, and then manually select all the new contacts.  Totatlly inefficient.

Why can we not simply correct an email for quick turnaround to new people?  I'm sure there is a complicated answer involving the way the system views sent emails, etc., but in the end, it would just make life a whole lot easier to be able to correct typos before a resend to new contacts.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your candid feedback on this limitation and how it is impacting you. In this case, the limitation of being able to change email details after sending exists within the email campaigns system, and therefore the API is also affected by this limitation. I have passed your feedback on to our product team so that we can take it into consideration as we continue to improve our products.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I, too, have an issue with this. I have a document attached to my campaign that needed to be updated before sending to new contacts. A way to edit current campaign information would be very helpful.

Also, I'm having an issue with "draft" messages. Each time I open them, the images have shrunk to the point of being invisible unless I scroll over them. I keep having to "replace" them to restore the correct dimensions. Very inconvenient, as I'm planning to copy the campaigns for future use (they're "Thanks for your recent purchase" messages I normally send on the first business day of the month to everyone who ordered during the previous month.)

Any advice/updates would be appreciated!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

At this time it is still not possible to edit the contents of an email campaign once it has been sent. However, regarding the issue you've reported with images shrinking to where you cannot see them, our team is actively working on that specific issue and we hope to have a fix ready very soon!

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted

I have the same issue. I need to change a link in an email that has already been sent & cannot do it. I notice that pdf files (in my Library) can be replaced, but I cannot replace an image in an email that has been sent.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured