The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

add contact using old email address

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

add contact using old email address

I have used the dot net api to add contact  to 'join my mailing list form'. But it is not accepting old email address which I used earlier. I know that duplicate email address is not allowed there. But If I remove one email form the list then at least it should accept that email address to use for a new contact. But that is not working. Please check.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Employee

Adding old email address

Once a contact is added to Constant Contact, they are never fully removed. They will always remain either 'Active', 'Removed', or 'Do Not mail'. If you are using the .NET sample code that we have available for download, you should be able to navigate to the 'Add or Edit Contact' page, search for that address, and update that contact's information. If you are using your own form, what you are looking to do is update this particular contact by doing an http PUT to update the contact's information. Please view Updating Contact Information for more details on this process.

Please note that if a contact has opted out of your mailing list, it is in violation of our Terms of Service to opt that customer back in without their consent. If a subscriber has opted themselves out of your mailing this, they must take action to be added back. When using the API, this means that the customers <OptInSource> must be set to ACTION_BY_CONTACT.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

main site allow to use old email address which was deleted earli

But the main site allows this. I mean if you remove a contact from the main site then you can use same email address to add a new contact.

Actually same users can post different queries in our website. We are keeping those queries separately in the database. So, here(in constant contact database) also we need to keep different records for same uses. Please advise how to achieve this.

We know duplicate email address is not allowed here. That is ok. But when we delete a record after checking the query, then at least we should have the previleage to add new query of the same user using same email address. Otherwise how will we get second query of an user? Please advise.

Highlighted
Employee

Creating vs Updating a Contact

While our UI at constantcontact.com may feel like you are removing a contact, and then creating a new contact with the same email address, this is actually not what is happening. When you upload your contacts, we check to see if the contact already exists within the account. If it does then we simply update the previous Contact's information with the new details that you provide.

As you stated in your post, we do not have the ability to store the same email address as multiple users. The email address is considered our primary key, and this must be unique in your account. You cannot create a new contact using the same email address as a contact that already exists within your account. This is true regardless of whether the contact status is 'Active', 'Removed', or 'Do-not-mail'. Your only option would be to do an update to that contact to change their contact details to reflect your new users information.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks!

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks

Many Thanks David for the quick response. We will decide the solution based on your reply.

Because we can't simply update existing contact. First we need to check the previous query of the same contact. We can only update after responding back to the user with the comment of previous query. Otherwise we will not be able to see the old comment as new comment will replace the old comment.

So, this is a limitation actually. But thanks for your quick response.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured