json.payload.contains_invalid_characters:The request contains text outside character set ISO-8859-1

SOLVED
Highlighted
Advisor

json.payload.contains_invalid_characters:The request contains text outside character set ISO-8859-1

I have noticed in older posts that the ISO-8859-1 character set is the only one supported for both UI and API. However, I notice that the UI supports my adding a name with character š which is outside of the 8859-1 range. However, it appears that the API (Version 2) is still restricting to 8859-1. Is that the case? If so, I can convert all characters to 8859-1. Please confirm that this is what I must do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: json.payload.contains_invalid_characters:The request contains text outside character set ISO-885

Thank you for the information! I took the time to verify that the UI interface for contact management does support all UTF-8 characters. At present the API restricts all payloads to the ISO-8859-1 character set for all endpoints.

The biggest reason for this restriction on the API is that there are some endpoints that require this restriction (specifically related to Email Campaigns), as well as the previous version of our contact management platform(which was still in use at the time of release for our V2 API) also requiring 8859-1.

I will be following up on this discrepancy with the management team on our side to see what we can do to resolve it. For the immediate term, the best solution is to make sure that anything which will be used through the API conforms to the ISO-8859-1 character set.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: json.payload.contains_invalid_characters:The request contains text outside character set ISO-885

Hello,

I can confirm for you that the API only allows characters in the ISO-8859-1 character set for use in email campaigns. The same should also be true for campaigns in the UI, and I will definitely do some testing around what you've reported to confirm. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Advisor

I added the person by using the UI. This same person was rejected by the api. The first name of the person contains the character š which is the reason the api failed to add her. However, the UI seemed perfectly happy to allow me to add her using that character as part of her first name.

Now that I have added her with this character which is not within the 8859-1 range, I will change the š in her name to a standard ascii s so that our APIs don't fail when we retrieve her information.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the information! I took the time to verify that the UI interface for contact management does support all UTF-8 characters. At present the API restricts all payloads to the ISO-8859-1 character set for all endpoints.

The biggest reason for this restriction on the API is that there are some endpoints that require this restriction (specifically related to Email Campaigns), as well as the previous version of our contact management platform(which was still in use at the time of release for our V2 API) also requiring 8859-1.

I will be following up on this discrepancy with the management team on our side to see what we can do to resolve it. For the immediate term, the best solution is to make sure that anything which will be used through the API conforms to the ISO-8859-1 character set.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Register for our "Making Sense of Online Marketing for Retail" Webinar

Join us on Thursday, August 13th at 2pm ET for a free webinar where we'll discuss how to incorporate online marketing into your retail store.

Read More
Featured