Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Ability to recall sent email

when might we see this ? This moring I just wanted to correct a link (moments after send, I of course discovered the error) but no can do without resending. THis would be so helpful, and (I don't think) not super challenging to implement.

IN THE MEANTIME, clear and accurate messaging is so appreciated. When I click on the "edit" button for a sent email, you say "you must first copy so as not to impact reporting" but that implies there might be a way to fix it without copying if you dont care about reporting, which is not true. Rather than send me down the rabbit hole that doesn't exist (and take the time of your chat support staff) just say "in order to edit a sent email you must first copy the email, then make any corrections and resend. Currently there is no way to edit the email you sent without resending." Thank you.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hi folks - I appreciate all of the feedback around this idea over the years. We're updating the status of this to more accurately reflect where issues are in our pipeline. This particular idea has some technical limitations that prevent us from implementing it as people would like to see.

Generally speaking, email is unable to be recalled once it is sent. Email servers allow new mail to be received, but only the user or designated admin will have the ability to remove or replace mail once it is delivered to the recipient. One exception to this that people may be familiar with, would be some Outlook users who are on an Exchange type server in their workplace. These can be set up so that internal users can recall an unopened message sent to other internal users. This can only work if the emails are a part of the same organization or company.  

I've seen Gmail mentioned here as well. Gmail also doesn't have a recall feature, as I know it. They do offer an undo send feature, but it really just adds a time buffer before sending the email which will allow you to cancel before it goes out. Once it's sent, it's sent. This can be done in Constant Contact by scheduling the email for a later time. Before it's sent, you will have the ability to unschedule and return it to a draft status to make any further edits.

22 Comments
Patrick_W
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thank you for the feedback @BookTrust,

As far as recalling an email-- currently there is no way for us to update the email that is already in a recipient's inbox.  However-- it sounds like even an easier way to send out a 'retraction' or 'update' on that campaign would be helpful for you.  Is that correct?

I appreciate the feedback around clearer messaging.  I totally agree and will be sharing it with our Product Team.

Best,

Patrick

Cheryl_M
Constant Contact Partner

I'd like to recommend having a message recall option. 

Chris_L
Employee
Status changed to: Voting Open

@Cheryl_M Thank you for the feedback and idea.  I will open up the idea for voting.  What are some of the reasons you have run into that you wished you were able to recall a campaign send? Do you think an additional confirmation screen before scheduling a campaign would help catch any of those reasons? 

IntermountainBobcat
Campaign Contributor
Please add a recall option to your program! This is a VERY VITAL feature to diminish or prevent embarrassment. Most People in Marketing are always in a hurry and stressed. So this stuff happens but can have very embarrassing consequences. Thank you!
Chris__D
Employee

Hey @IntermountainBobcat, thanks for your feedback! When it comes to recalling an email, this is unfortunately not something that would be possible due to privacy and security concerns. Once an email is sent to a recipient, it is in their inbox within seconds. As their inbox is private, we would have no way to gain access and recall the email. However-- it sounds like even an easier way to send out a 'retraction' or 'update' on that campaign would be helpful for you.  Is that correct?

YourOwnRet
Rookie

It would be nice that if a list is mistakenly added to a scheduled email, that it could be retracted after being sent. We have a new employee that mistakenly selected the wrong lists and it would be to correct this mistake.  You are able to unsend emails on a regular email platform, I do not see why this cannot be arranged within constant contact. Thank you!

Chris__D
Employee

Hey @YourOwnRet, thanks for your feedback! When it comes to recalling an email, this is unfortunately not something that would be possible due to privacy and security concerns. Once an email is sent to a recipient, it is in their inbox within seconds. As their inbox is private, we would have no way to gain access and recall the email. However-- it sounds like even an easier way to send out a 'retraction' or 'update' on that campaign would be helpful for you.  Is that correct?

jamieS143
Rookie
I had an idea that there should be an option to cancel an email that was sent out. And so that the people who have not opened it yet. If it's a large mail out don't see it. Is that possible?
ArgentinaJ5
Rookie

...It seems like you should be able to add a sandbox delay or something. Set between 5 seconds and 5 minutes before the campaign is actually really distributed.

SSBC
Rookie

I just went through this on a death notice........put the wrong brother in the email.....surely you can do a recall once the email has been sent.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More