Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Ability to recall sent email

when might we see this ? This moring I just wanted to correct a link (moments after send, I of course discovered the error) but no can do without resending. THis would be so helpful, and (I don't think) not super challenging to implement.

IN THE MEANTIME, clear and accurate messaging is so appreciated. When I click on the "edit" button for a sent email, you say "you must first copy so as not to impact reporting" but that implies there might be a way to fix it without copying if you dont care about reporting, which is not true. Rather than send me down the rabbit hole that doesn't exist (and take the time of your chat support staff) just say "in order to edit a sent email you must first copy the email, then make any corrections and resend. Currently there is no way to edit the email you sent without resending." Thank you.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hi folks - I appreciate all of the feedback around this idea over the years. We're updating the status of this to more accurately reflect where issues are in our pipeline. This particular idea has some technical limitations that prevent us from implementing it as people would like to see.

Generally speaking, email is unable to be recalled once it is sent. Email servers allow new mail to be received, but only the user or designated admin will have the ability to remove or replace mail once it is delivered to the recipient. One exception to this that people may be familiar with, would be some Outlook users who are on an Exchange type server in their workplace. These can be set up so that internal users can recall an unopened message sent to other internal users. This can only work if the emails are a part of the same organization or company.  

I've seen Gmail mentioned here as well. Gmail also doesn't have a recall feature, as I know it. They do offer an undo send feature, but it really just adds a time buffer before sending the email which will allow you to cancel before it goes out. Once it's sent, it's sent. This can be done in Constant Contact by scheduling the email for a later time. Before it's sent, you will have the ability to unschedule and return it to a draft status to make any further edits.

22 Comments
NAMIPTC
Rookie
Like google mail, I would love to see a "pull-back email option". Sometimes I don't see my error until I hit send despite checking and rechecking :frown:
SchmidConstruction
Campaign Contributor
There needs to be a way to cancel an email once it goes out. Or make edits to an existing campaign.
RobertL6583
Not applicable
There should be a 5-minute recall for your emails. This way if you find a mistake last minute, you can fix it without it
RahmandaC
Rookie
Hello, Are you able to retrack an email that was sent?
SSBC
Rookie

If you cannot recall the message, there needs to be a buffer to send it later than right away or cancel it.  Once I hit the button on the notification of the wrong brother's death notice, it was gone.  The only option I had was to send an apology to the family and send out a CORRECTION email; I felt this wrong due to the fact that it hurt the family and it embarrassed me.  Of course, one problem in resending another email, you must use a different subject or it will only go to people who weren't in the first list--not a solution.

I know in use of past email accounts with different companies(outlook), we were allowed to recall the message even though some people had opened it.

We need to be able to RECALL messages, please.

Carolyn Pinkney, SSBC

Frankie_P

Hi @RahmandaC at this time being able to recall sent emails is not available feature. It is however a feature request we are collecting feedback on. In fact what are some cases where you would want to recall a sent email? In the meantime we have merged your post into a similar thread focused on this idea.

SWTDD
Campaign Contributor
Wish I could tweak an error in a newsletter and resend that exact one to people who haven't opened. Wonder every month why there is a big gab between 28 to 36 point font choices (OFTEN need a size in the middle)! Why can I not use a font bigger than 48?
Frankie_P

Hi @SWTDD

Does scheduling a edited copy of your email to a did-not open contacts segment help fit your needs? As for bigger font sizes, having the ability to choose custom font sizes is a feature request we are collecting feedback on. In fact we recommend commenting directly on that thread with your need for this feature. The more requests a thread like that receives the higher of a priority it can be given by our Product Team.

SWTDD
Campaign Contributor

I actually tried to do that before posting this question. But... I don't seem to be able to!   Here's what happened when I walked it out... Once an email has been sent, I can't directly edit it. Soooo... I have to copy it. And when I copy it, I have to give it a new name. Therefore, if I schedule to "resend to the unopened" what is resent is actually the original one [the one with the error] and not the new [copied, edited, and new name] one with the correction. Does that make sense?

Frankie_P

Hi @SWTDD

Thanks for following up with these details! We have merged your post into a larger thread focused on this idea.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More