Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Adding Tables to 3rd Generation

We had a thread about adding tables to third generation emails but a moderator closed it saying now that we can use 5 columns that should solve the problem.

Guess what, it does not come close to solving the problem. There is no way to line up text except tables. adding columns does not work because the columns will not always display side by side.

Top Answer
Chris__D
Employee

Hey @BONNIER52, thanks for your feedback. In our newest editor, we have a block that offers up to 5 side by side text or image blocks. This allows users to create a table-like block, however, we're looking to hear how we can make this block better. What content are you trying to add into your campaign that requires a table? 

The reason we don't have an actual table block is due to tables breaking the mobile responsive design of the template and with over 50% of users opening their emails on a mobile device, it's very important that we create solutions that work for both mobile and desktop viewers. Knowing how you use tables will allow us to look into ways we can make our editor even more useful. 

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

With the introduction of our cross-device editor, tables can be added to a campaign.

When viewed on a mobile device, your table won’t resize to fit the screen. If your table is wider than the screen, contacts will need to scroll horizontally to see the full table. Testing is especially important when using a table so you can experience what your contacts will see.

64 Comments
SamuelM8
Marketing Legend

Exactly,

I just keep copying old campaigns and editing them.

I tried using screen shots but my tables can run several pages. I wasn't sure how to do a screen shot of a 100 line table and then have it readable. I still want tables in 3rd generation.

Really need the tables feature. This is not good. Please restore ASAP. 

Tables are best for calendar info! Please restore functionality!

RandyD406
Rookie

Yesssss, please add the ability to create tables again!

AAWL
Campaign Contributor

Any updates on an ETA for tables? My org really can't update to a new templates without them. I can't quite figure out a workaround to make it work for a section of our newsletter. Thanks! 

BONNIER52
Rookie

Chris__D
Employee
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hey @BONNIER52, thanks for your feedback. In our newest editor, we have a block that offers up to 5 side by side text or image blocks. This allows users to create a table-like block, however, we're looking to hear how we can make this block better. What content are you trying to add into your campaign that requires a table? 

The reason we don't have an actual table block is due to tables breaking the mobile responsive design of the template and with over 50% of users opening their emails on a mobile device, it's very important that we create solutions that work for both mobile and desktop viewers. Knowing how you use tables will allow us to look into ways we can make our editor even more useful. 

IanK82
Campaign Contributor

Tables are critical.  They allow you to control formatting of large amounts of information in a small space which is incredibly important for email communication. I spoke with a support person on the phone today and he said they took tables out because people complained that the tables didn't look right sometimes.  That is like cutting off your leg because your ankle is bothering you.  JPGs are an awful solution.  That requires users to download images which many people don't want to do.

UUMC
Rookie

I agree - something needs to be done so we can align text within sections and it still be mobile friendly. I don't know the answer to how to do this, but I used to use tables. We have a calendar of dates included in our church newsletter that is impossible to format nicely now.

Marisa_M
Marketing Legend

Hi there,

I am putting together my monthly calendar email and was just wondering if there's been any movement on this issue to have tables re-added to the CC editor?  I send out a calendar every month and the ONLY way to format it is using a table. It would really help to get this re-added to the interface.  Right now I have to keep copying from old emails using the old editor which is yucky. PLEASE prioritize this.

Thank you!

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More