Allow inserted links to open in new window

It is a best practice when linking to any site other than your own, to make it open in  a new window so as not to lose the reader. Since this is an email cms, that seems like it would have automatically have been the design.

I avoid inserting any links that aren't absolutely necessary because I don't want to lose email readers.

15 Comments
Frankie_P
Status changed to: Voting Open

Hi @RunCoachDeb thanks for sharing this feedback with us! We have opened up your idea so other users can weigh in as well.

joseg297
Occasional Participant

I agree this is a definite issue. Even this editor has that capability when inserting links.

LyndaM2
Participant

I strongly agree, it is very important to have a separate window open when a link is clicked on, so the reader is able to get back to the newsletter to complete reading it. Even I accidently close out the document when reviewing the test email. Thank you for considering it.

mbarnes01
Participant

The lack of ability to have a link open in a new window is frankly a disaster because i am finding that when you clink on the clink it opens up replacing your e mail, the usual ability to click backwards to the previous window appear to be lost, so your reader has to go back to the original e mail and open it all over again.  All website designs i have seen have the ability to open links in a new window. Constant contact needs to fix this asap

Marisa_M
Established Member

YES YES YES!!!!!!   A lot of our campaigns are re-posted within our in-house software in the form of a pop-up message which I add via an iFrame and every link opens in the pop-up rather than in a new tab/window which makes it extremely difficult for people to follow the links (i.e. register for an event, pay your bill, etc) because they are in a 650 wide window and I have tried every which way to change it but cannot because the functionality is embedded within the email campaign itself.  PLEASE change this so that links open in a new window or tab BY DEFAULT!!!

Example of campaign re-posted within our software system via iFrame:

Marisa_M_0-1629992895244.png

Links open in popup rather than in a new tab:

Marisa_M_1-1629992929935.png

LindaA067
Occasional Participant

Absolutely agree - the fact that links still don't open in new windows - especially from such a leading CRM company - is a bit of a shocker! 

Marisa_M
Established Member

Can we PLEASE see this in the next "update"?? 

LindaA067
Occasional Participant

This has been raised many times here before and so far, Constant Contact has not made it possible for inserted links to be opened in a new window. My newsletters are full of links to other interesting content - so I will be leaving Constant Contact this month and moving my business elsewhere.  It's  a shame as I have got used to it and enjoy using it - but I can no longer accept that my customers have to keep going  back to the original email if they click on a link.  If other newsletters can do this, why can't CC? 

Frankie_P

Hi @LindaA067

We apologize for any inconvenience caused from this feature not being available. There are many factors that are used to decide what is added to or updated in our product which can cause us to sometimes not have a timeline for when a feature will be available. We apologize, while we may not have a time estimate for this feature request, the more request a thread like these receive the higher of a priority it can be given by our Product Team. In fact, here is a section of our Community that helps explain what we do with our customer’s feedback.

Marisa_M
Established Member
I embed a lot of our CC emails into an iFrame "message of the day" pop up window in our MLS database for our members to see our messages and a lot of times they have a link to register for a class or take some action. Most of your templates have the links embedded automatically so that they open in the same window as the message - this is TERRIBLE. I have come across one or two templates, randomly, that actually do open the link in a new window which is preferable!! Can you please either make all your templates open the link in a new window, OR when I go to add a link, require the editor to ask if you want the link to open in the same or a new window?? Please!
GinnyM59
Participant

PLEASE make this an option. We want people to still have our landing page open to refer back to when they click on a link. 

Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Gathering Information

Hi all. I wanted to chime in here in hopes of finding a better understanding of how you'd expect the new window to appear and how this would be a benefit to your contacts. Currently, clicking on a link when viewing an email in an email client will open a new tab and the email still exists in another tab. However, this is not the case for the webpage version of emails or the permanent URL, like those you would share on a social media platform. Clicking on a link from the webpage version will not open a new tab. So here is the information I'm looking for:

• Are you accessing the link through an email client or the webpage version?
  • In an email client, does opening the link in a new tab suffice since the email is still accessible in the browser?
  • What would be the reasoning for a new window to open? A new browser window would cover up the email, requiring the contact to close the window in order to go back to the email.

As a note, we cannot insert iFrames into the editor so it is not possible for the window to appear in a smaller pop-up.

Marisa_M
Established Member

Hi @Caitlin_M and thank you for looking into this further. 

We FREQUENTLY use the permalink to embed the email via an iFrame into a Message of the Day pop-up within a secure website, and that is where we are having the problem. See the above thread, I (unknowingly) posted two responses but my first contains a screenshot of the behavior.
A new tab would be fine, probably better than a new window. But I'll take anything over the current behavior which opens it within the pop-up message.  

Thank you!

RunCoachDeb
Frequent Participant

To be clear, here is what happens in my case:  When I click to close a link that I had clicked on from my email, it takes me back to my browser, and there is no tab open for the email. I use Chrome and Outlook for email.

Then, to get back to my email, I have to open up my email again to see it. When I called your customer service, they wanted to tell me how I could change a setting that would help. That's not the point. I can't get thousands of people, my subscribers, to change any settings.

Other platforms don't require that. For example, I have two Squarespace websites. When I create a link, the pop-upbox asks if I want to "open in new window," which I always click. Easy peasy. 

I have several ads in my newsletters. Before I send, of course, I send a test to myself and go through and click each add to be sure it's link correctly. This takes forever because I can't click 'open in new window' like most other platforms do.

RunCoachDeb
Frequent Participant

Caitlin,

I just reread your comments and realize I should expand my response.
You say what would be the reason. The reason is to avoid losing people/readers. It is a best practice to never post a link that does not open in a new window because if it does not open in a new window, the reader has to go back and find the email and that's too much trouble for some people. A business wants to do everything possible to keep people on the page and reading.

Re the following: "What would be the reasoning for a new window to open? A new browser window would cover up the email, requiring the contact to close the window in order to go back to the email." 

This is never  a problem. It is just one click to close the window, and the reader is right where the left off. This is the way other platforms have been set up for years. I used Vertical Response for a dozen years. It works that way, Square Space works that way. Thinkific works that way. All the other platforms I use work that way.

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More

What's New

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More