Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Links opening in the same window as campaign

It is a best practice when linking to any site other than your own, to make it open in  a new window so as not to lose the reader. Since this is an email cms, that seems like it would have automatically have been the design.

I avoid inserting any links that aren't absolutely necessary because I don't want to lose email readers.

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator
We've identified a specific issue with clickable buttons in the permalink and View As Webpage link. When viewing these pages, clicking a button will cause the new page to open in the same tab instead of in a different tab which is the behavior of emails accessed through an email client. Text links are not affected by this issue. We submitted a request to our development team to have the URLs behave uniformly or to have a choice between links opening in a new tab or window. There are no immediate developments happening but we will continue to keep this thread updated with any movement.

If you are seeing buttons or text links acting differently outside of the behaviors listed above, please collect the following information: 

• campaign name
  • email client
  • browser
  • if the link was inserted as a button or text
  • which button or text link is acting this way

You can then email us communitysupport(at)constantcontact(dot)com for further assistance.

28 Comments
Bridging_Cultures
Campaign Contributor

This feature is CRITICAL. I sent an email out today that had 2 "read more" links. 90% of my contacts ONLY clicked the first link because it opened in the browser window of my email, and they all thought that was the totality of the email...so they didn't go back to my email to see if there was more. Consequently, half of my subscribers missed an entire 2/3rds of my email...including the most important part which was the "ask".

Disappointing.

has the feature which allows links within the campaign to open in a separate window...how can they be so far ahead of CC?

RunCoachDeb
Marketing Legend

When trying to find an alternative to CC, I've been searching many articles comparing crm's. No one mentions "open in new window." Do you know why? Because it's a given. All the other well-known crm's have had that feature for ten years. I'm going to email the authors of each one of the articles to tell them CC doesn't have that feature because it should be listed under 'cons' in each comparison article. It's ridiculous. The other crm's don't even list it as a feature because all the others have it. It wouldn't occur to them to mention it because it's been a best practice for so long. They will be surprised, for sure. I would never have switched from , but when I did my research, 'open in new window' wasn't mentioned anywhere; so, of course, I had no idea, no way of knowing CC was that far behind when I migrated my lists over. 

Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Acknowledged
We've identified a specific issue with clickable buttons in the permalink and View As Webpage link. When viewing these pages, clicking a button will cause the new page to open in the same tab instead of in a different tab which is the behavior of emails accessed through an email client. Text links are not affected by this issue. We submitted a request to our development team to have the URLs behave uniformly or to have a choice between links opening in a new tab or window. There are no immediate developments happening but we will continue to keep this thread updated with any movement.

If you are seeing buttons or text links acting differently outside of the behaviors listed above, please collect the following information: 

• campaign name
  • email client
  • browser
  • if the link was inserted as a button or text
  • which button or text link is acting this way

You can then email us communitysupport(at)constantcontact(dot)com for further assistance.

DonnaR17
Rookie

I am in the early stages of researching e-mail campaign platforms and started with Constant Contact first.  I believe in keeping messages short and providing links for more information.  I am disappointed to see that I'm taken off my e-mail when clicking a link.  For this reason, I will be looking harder at other platforms.

AnneD0
Rookie

This is a game changer for me. I use lots of links in my e-newsletters but was not aware that readers would not easily be able to get back to the original email if they click on a link. This problem needs to be addressed by Constant Contact.

LauraM2621
Rookie

I agree. It would be nice to have control over whether a link opens in a new window or tab. 

GeneC7
Rookie

This still seems to be an open issue.  Any idea when this is going to be addressed by Constant Contact?

MitchL2
Rookie

I will find another source I use alot of links...

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More