Copy disable for legacy emails

Why did you get rid of the COPY option for emails? I always copy a previous email to get the same formatting for a new email.

Top Answer
Frankie_P

Hello everyone!

The ability to copy Legacy Newsletter templates has been disabled since we are moving forward with our updated editor and are dedicating resources to making this editor the best it can be. Because of this we would recommend recreating your template in our updated editor. This updated editor does have the ability to be copied. With that said, are there any features in particular that are causing you to continue copying these Legacy Newsletter Templates? We welcome any feedback about this editor so we can forward your thoughts to our Product team.

78 Comments
Frequent Participant

I get it.
I want to send a newsletter.
Constant Contact is an e/mail service.

Occasional Participant
NOT HAPPY! Planned to send an email, like I have for the past few years by making a copy, changing the approriate photos and information. Find out that is no longer an option, and the only way to have a template email I can use is to hire your company for 79.00 to make one for me! THAT SUCKS! You do not have a happy customer right now. Wayne
Retail

After 15 Years, it's time to move on. I've only stuck with Constant Contact because it is so familiar. I could jump in and out quickly. Now, being sprung with the entire new look and format - I might as well move now to save money.  I struggled to just copy a promotion and retitle it. If I am going to struggle, I'll learn an new system while saving money since this is what I  am forced to do after 15 years. At least in the past, you implemented small changes for the better, not a major overhaul to confuse your customers. As a business owner, I want to be able to click out a promo as fast as possible without having too much technical knowledge. I think that got lost with CC. We aren't all techies. We are business owners.

I also know there are glitches because just trying to change the text of the subject line jumped me to the body of the email.  And then I couldn't get my cursor to move. It just sat there and blinked.  

I would suggest a "Classic" version ability.  If not, I will be forced to move since the extra money I was paying for CC was for convenience for me.  Now it's not.

Participant
I used to be able to click on one of my already sent campaigns and re edit it for something else down the road and now i can't even do this. what is the point of taking this function away from some of us who isn't computer savoy. Malissa water 2 wine
Regular Participant

I spent a lot of money on my templates complete with all the info, links, etc to each subscriber. I agree with all the previous posts. You've stopped my business in it's tracks. Been with CC for many many years. Why didn't you ask us? I was scheduled to send a campaign today and I can't even call or chat. Beyond disappointed. 

Participant

I am extremely unhappy. I have spent hours tonight trying to copy a campaign. I spent hours last week as well. You have redone your site (which I think the graphics look terrible) and since then I have had all kinds of trouble trying to make and send campaigns. There is NO COPY option on the drop down. I need to have an email out at 5 am EST and I can't! This will cost me quite a lot in sales....

Occasional Participant

When you click Campaigns select more at the top right hand corner. 

Click Edit and it was allow you to make a copy of the email. 

Hope this helps!

Participant
I hate this. You have crippled me by taking this away. All I need to do is copy an existing email, change the subject and change the image and it's url link. It used to take me minutes and now I can't get it to work at all. If I choose a recent template I see the one I want to copy but it gives me . Oops. Something went wrong. Give me back the old way!!!!!!!!!
Consulting & Training

Dear ConstantContact "leadership."

So you are "retiring" 2GE copying Oct. 1, eh? I would contend that your customers would all be better off if YOU were the ones who would "retire."

Your arbitrary decision to eliminate the ability to copy Gen 2 emails is terrible. You can justify it all you want (better for mobile, blah, blah, blah), but some of us aren't concerned about that. We have years invested in our current email styles and templates, including customized HTML that already works fine on mobile devices, but now you expect us to rebuild all of those emails for no reason? All you have done is created a huge amount of unnecessary work for your customers.

In addition, you have given us a whopping ONE MONTH to shift to Gen 3?! It shouldn't happen at all but, seriously, ONE MONTH?! Have you ever actually talked with someone who runs a small business? That's not even remotely enough time for such a big change. UNACCEPTABLE.

By the way, I have tried Gen 3 and it SUCKS. In particular, the inability to edit the HTML is a HUGE FAIL. I previously tried replicating my current emails in Gen 3 and it is NOT POSSIBLE without HTML editing capabilities. As usual, you have made the product worse for the same $$$ (although I am sure we will soon see a price increase for the "upgrade" to Gen 3.)

No one asked for this. Please consider your terrible, arrogant, ignorant decision.

Of course, I am sure I am wasting my breath. The same thing happened a year or so ago when you arbitrarily took away the old photo editor -- also on short notice -- causing all kinds of headaches and extra work for your customers. You obviously don't gave a **bleep** about us as long as we keep paying your monthly fees. That's why I am Googling "ConstantContact alternatives" as we speak: 

Frequent Participant

YES YES YES. Please do NOT end legacy emails. I read the "why" and I don't care. I have years of work saved in legacy form and desperately need to reuse them. I HATE the new format and can't do half of what's necessary. AGAIN, you will cripple my efforts if I can't copy legacy format. EX: I often run a column and need to link samples with photos. We sell cars and need to link a car photo with its preview page. Need the column and multiple photos. NOT blocks. LISTEN to your customers and leave the legacy format alone and able to be copied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Participant

THIS WAS A REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!!, I AM LOOKING TO MOVE TO A DIFFERENT EMAIL PROGRAM. 

DOESN'T CONSTANT CONTACT REALIZE THAT A GOOD MARKETING IDEA IS NOT TO HAVE THE SAME THING EVERYONE ELSE DOES

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID,

Participant
THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. I USE A STANDARD TEMPLATE TO MAKE OUR NEWSLETTER RECOGNIZABLE, WE CHANGE EVERY 18 MONTHS TO KEEP IT FRESH. I DO NOT WANT MY EMAILS TO LOOK LIKE EVERYONE OTHER EMAIL CONSTANT CONTACT APPARENTLY DOES NOT UNDERSTAND MARKETING THANKS, NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A NEW PROGRAM AND ALL THE ADDED WORK ASSOCIATED WITH THAT. THIS WAS A REALLY BAD IDEA, WHO EVER HAD IT DAVID
Participant

Hi... removing the "copy" options was a really bad idea. It was the main reason I have not switched to a less expensive competitor. But if I need to redo my template now is the perfect time. sorry!!!

Real Estate

This was a very stupid idea to remove the copy function on legacy emails.  I can either spend an hour rebuilding my template or spend my time researching a less expensive solution and learning how to build a new template with them.  Tell your Product Team to do some focus groups before removing a feature.  Maybe you think your new UI is so cool that you don't need to help legacy clients!

Bill

Consulting & Training

Please listen to the flood of complaints from your customers about the bad decision to "retire" the ability to copy Gen 2 emails. Because if you think you're getting a backlash now, JUST WAIT until Oct. 1 when those who haven't been paying attention suddenly realize they can't copy their old emails.

It wouldn't be so bad if the Gen 3 editor was an improvement, BUT IT'S NOT. The Gen 3 editor was obviously created for the lowest common denominator -- those with little or no email design and/or HTML coding skills. That's fine. Some users need that. But your more sophisticated customers MUST MUST MUST have an alternative email editor with HTML editing capabilities -- or your product is utterly useless.

And please don't suggest suing the "Advanced" editor. That requires the entire email to be written in HTML. Nope. I still want drag and drop functionality for 90 percent of what I do; I only need HTML for formatting adjustments. So you only have the two extremes, Gen 3 and Advanced. It's like a choice between kindergarten and a PhD program. How about something in between like, say, oh, I don't know, the  Gen 2 editor???

Finally, let me echo what others have said: As if the COVID-19 pandemic wasn't bad enough, now you are taking away crucial functionality from one of your customers' most important marketing tools? You are staggeringly insensitive and out of touch with the realities of small business.

Frequent Participant
You are about to lose a loyal customer. We are spending an enormous amount of time trying to send emails to our membership as we can no longer copy previous campaigns and simply edit them with new content. Please tell me this is a month long glitch in the system and not permanent. Mike Deering Missouri Cattlemen's Association CEO

Hi @SamiJoF thank you for sharing your feedback on this change. I do want to point out not having the ability to copy your previous Legacy Newsletter templates is not a glitch. The ability to copy these outdated templates is in the process of being removed from all accounts with access. Instead we recommend recreating your template in our updated editor as we are dedicating resources to making this editor the best it can be. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and in the meantime have merged your post into a larger thread on this topic as well.

Participant
We can't use a previous email when using the Create option. No copy option. What gives??
Consulting & Training

Hi - I have a small business. Legacy email templates are simple and already created. I logged in today to get a campaign out on a deadline and found the Copy option is no longer available. NOT OK. Huge delay now in getting out a simple campaign that should've taken me minutes. Now, I need to start over and recreate all of my campaigns in the new templates? Why? This is not ok. 

Occasional Participant
I was totally sucker punched by Constant Contact today and I am still seeing red!!! Maybe with the COVID crisis they have been sitting around with nothing else to do but our business has been an essential service since day one. We need all the support we can get so today's problem was infuriating. Yesterday September 30th I formatted our Weekly Newsletter and sent it out today as usual. An important survey link I had tested yesterday was broken, an alert customer emailed me back right away. NO PROBLEM, I will just copy and correct, send it again. NOPE. The fine people at Constant Contact decided to disable my template with ABSOLUTELY ZERO NOTICE. I was already late for an appointment when I called for help, waited 10 minutes in the queue to find out "oh yeah, you have to create a whole new template , sorry". In the time I was on hold while the CS rep recreated my template I downloaded my email addresses and sent direct Gmail emails with the link correction in several batches. I was very late for an important appointment and had to solve my immediate problem on my own. I have been with Constant Contact for 10 years and this was just about the lowest crappiest thing they have ever done. I am still fuming and trying to decide how valuable the service is to me since my business is obviously not valuable to them. I have received NO response after my call. }: <
What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More