Hi, I had entered a new contact into a recent compaign. Then I sent them the campaign. Later I couldn't remember if I sent that one so I tried again. Your system showed that there was one that had not been sent the campaign so it did send it again. Apparently then it showed an ERROR instead of SENT notice. Because of the error the APP would not show that campaign or results/stats of it. This is a problem. If there is an error the APP should still show the campaign and stats. Albeit even with limited data. So I suggest that you fix the APP to be able to receive campaign info even if that campaign shows a a draft. Or... change the label from draft to something else that would indicate that that campaign is active but still has something needed to be done.