cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to edit HTML

Need to edit HTML

Arghh not dig'n it. How can I view a new account in the old editor? The new editor is like the new social social sharing tool... a wicked drag.

214 Comments
Occasional Contributor

I also need to edit the html. My brand guidelines use sharp corners, not round, so I need to edit the button style. 

Occasional Contributor
We have to have some way to do minor edits to html. I realize many users need this dumbed down version, but professionals like me with clients that use Constant Contact are having a much harder time helping our clients make their emails look custom and on brand without having to hand code the entire email. I just want to tweak some button styles and let text overlap images. Occasionally adjust padding or use a brand web font. I can't write a whole email in html but I know enough to make minor tweak, which is the level 90% of my other brand designer colleagues work at. Thanks.

I am an avid user of Constant Contact and have had much success with using this, but as my business keeps expanding I need to put in custom html codes for my customers. Yet, I can't do this in the third generation and only the second. I try to use the third when I can and the only reason I have to use the old one is because of the custom html ability. I know the compatibility issues and how it isn't mobile friendly but I would like to know is this being worked on at all? I find this extremely frustrating and would love to see. this implemented ASAP. Is there any work in progress for this?  

CTCT Employee

Hey @AshleyD276, thanks for your feedback! This is definitely something we've been working on and we've added a lot of new blocks that accomplished a lot of what users have been requesting such as multiple columns to replicate tables. Allowing users to add custom code into this editor is definitely something we're trying to look at carefully as we want to make sure it's a good experience for you as well as your recipients. If we were to add a custom code block, what type of things would you be adding to it? Are you looking to adjust padding, add custom buttons, or something similar? 

All Star

@Chris__D We need the capability to simply be able to remove html that gets copied and pasted into our text. We often have pieces we copy and paste from different sources or from a previous CC newsletter, and need to remove the html that comes over with it. Hitting the clear formatting button often doesn't work fully. The only way to remove it is to actually go into the code and remove the extra "junk" html. Simple as that. 

Occasional Contributor

Totally agree with Sherry and many of the other comments. Not having the ability to edit html severely limits correction and customization options. One of the features of the old version was it didn't have to be one-size-fits-all.

Please give us this feature! When copying and pasting content into the editor, it often captures fonts and styles I want to get rid of in the final version. It looks fine in the editor, but in email preview I see the fonts are different. Then there is no way to go into the html and see what's happening and clean it up! Very frustrating.

Regular Visitor

i, too, miss the ability to directly edit the html of the newsletters. CC's WYSIWYG editor does weird and frustrating things (like randomly forgetting font, size, colour, and other things despite repeated setting of them) and being able to get into the html and correct the glitches has saved my sanity. not to mention getting rid of empty divs and such. i can't find how to get in there to configure the images, and the new images module doesn't have alignment and size choices like before. i also can't figure out - yet - how to get back into the old interface so i can do this. if i had time i'd recreate the html of the newsletter and use the Custom HTML option - but i haven't the time and the boss is unable to. we just renewed, so i have to deal with it - but i'm dubious about recommending this new interface!

In a conversation with support a few days ago, they said that the editor I am using, version 2, is being deprecated, and that they newest version 3 does not allow code view or access. If Constant Contact is listening, please hear me that I will take all my business elsewhere. I have been a user of CC for 15  years, I have steered many of my clients to use CC, and I regularly use the combination WYSIWYG editor while also entering custom HTML in some tags. If CC doesn't allow this, I will be forced to find someone that does. Glenn

CTCT Employee

Hello @GlennR1,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this to us. I want to hear more about what kinds of changes were you making to the HTML of your previous campaigns. Were they things that you no longer have control over in the new editor? If so would creating a feature to accomplish the task meet your need or do you absolutely need access to the actual HTML?

Occasional Participant

Clearly, they're not listening.

I'm going to have to suggest to my boss that we find some other option.

This is a waste of time.

Visitor

Hi Rodney:

I have made the plunge to MailCimp. I actually prefer how Constant Contacts handles lists. It is much more intuitive. But MailChimp has no problem with HTML access, which is what I need. There are parts of my campaigns where I copy HTML from other programs and paste in the email. This is no longer supported with CC. And...their whole "illegal character" thing drives me crazy. It is there way of saying that they can't figure out how to deal with my content. In many cases there are no special characters, but CC just can't figure out what is going on, so they deliver this message.

Glenn

CTCT Employee

Hello @RodneyP806,

I'm interested in hearing more about your personal need to be able to edit HTML? What types of edits are you looking to do that you can not do in the editor currently? 

CTCT Employee

Hi @GlennR916,

I'm sorry to hear that you have made the decision to leave Constant Contact. Was the reason for this due to the lack of access to the HTML?

Candace, I can respond with one answer to that question.

I want to be able to add a call to Google fonts in the header and apply them to paragraphs and headers. The fact Constant Contact is limited to a 1995 font set is a significant factor in choosing other services.

Hi Candace. Really the biggest issue is getting the Illegal character thing. I spent almost four hours recently to get an email to be accepted. When I called tech support they informed me about deprecating html. I then tried to create banother email using imported html (which I have been doing for 6 year) and again got the illegal character thing. Onto a new service. 

CTCT Employee

@MCHT-Collier,

Thank for chiming in with your opinion on this! We did recently add some additional Google font options into our editor recently (Learn more here). 

I'm interested in hearing if this addition doesn't help in your case. 

Is there a font we do not currently offer that you use frequently?

CTCT Employee

Thank @GlennR1 you very much for letting me know more about your situation. That is very helpful information for us.

I think I am almost ready to leave Constant Contact because of the inability to edit HTML. The types of issues that come up for me most is taking away extra characters, formatting, spacing, etc. Getting a clear look at WHY something's formatting looks funky, rather than trying endless attempts in the WYSIWYG editor and it not working. The ability to just find what random code got copied and pasted from somewhere, and delete it. As it is, I am still using your old, clunky templates because of this feature, which means I can't use A/B testing. It's all very inconvenient.

Please tell me. Is an HTML editor in the works, if I just hang on long enough? Why are you so hesitant to roll out this feature?

BrianD069 hit the nail on the head.

(A perfect example in this very post. I copied BrianD069's name from the previous post. Along with came a link. When I tried to post, I got a warning that no HTML could be used. Multiply that by every single time someone posts text from Word into a CC campaign.)