Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Screen reader compatibility for emails

0 Votes

Constant Contact does not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility standards because it does not allow the sender to designate certain text as headings.   I have heard tale that there is some way to do this using html code - but I have not been able to easily find it.  Also if I were going to edit the code for things as simple as headings what am I paying for.   Please advise if there is any way to designate headings for accessibility users currently and if there is any plan to make this feature user friendly in the interface.

17 Comments
AntonioG804
Rookie
I am a blind customer using Jaws as my screen reader. I am creating a landing page and find editing fields difficult. First, what a button will do, or what a field does is not clear to me. Second, each field to be filled out is not what I would call a true edit field, detectable with the keyboard on the screen reader. Third, pressing enter on certain parts of the page causes the cursor to loose focus and the page to jump elsewhere.
Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Voting Open

Hi @Goldrush. This is a great idea! I'll open the idea up for voting. 

rcppubs23
Marketing Legend

This is just nuts. Why do you need voting on this idea? It's standard practice across the web to encourage the use of alt text, including for accessibility reasons. If some people don't want to use it, for whatever reason, they can leave the field blank, but it's rather outrageous we don't have a way to specify alt text. The monkey offers this, and also allows for html editing in individual modules of the email..

JeffryR2
Rookie

Hello, 

I have found some posts on this that are over 3 years old, so I want to post again to see if CC has updated their accessibility options for Screen Reader programs for the blind. (JAWS) Our website is beginning to educate the medical community on this importance and we need it accessible. 

1. Screen reader doesn't read all of the website. For example: the top navigation menu

2. Uploaded photos do not have our unique text/Alt Text attached to them - they were changed upon use. 

Any advice or guidance is welcome! 

Thank you

WillM128
Rookie

Is there any update on this? Does Constant Contact have a VPAT? In order for us to use this program, we need a VPAT to be submitted and reviewed. I have asked but have not received any responses. 

Being 508 complaint is a big deal for my organization. 

Frankie_P

Hi everyone, we wanted to update the status of this request to Acknowledged to support our new community idea statuses and add better insight into your feedback. We can't guarantee a commitment to deliver on this feature request but should indicate some awareness that we have heard your feedback and could be taken under consideration for a future release.

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More