cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typographical

Typographical

Hello Constant Contact, When entering copy into the email, we're unable to use the em dash. Instead, it's truncated into a hyphen. The dash is a vital piece of grammar. Please allow its inclusion. Additionally, when entering a caption under a picture, once saved, the text defaults to white. Invisible, in other words, on a white email. This seems counter-intuitive. Please remedy. Thank you. Kevin at Hudson Valley Lighting

27 Comments
All Star

Please allow "special" characters to be coded in HTML in emails (i.e. em-dashes or smart apostrophes). I've tried entering them with various code formats, such as — and when the email is saved, they revert to single dashes or plain quotes.

Thanks for posting this feedback!

Status changed to: New

I cut/paste my word documents into text edit and from text edit cut/paste that into my newsletter template. I always receive a message that characters are not supported. CC then won't let me save my work until I go back, line by line, to fix this. These characters they say are unsupported are basic letters, periods, etc. I write 700+ word newsletter articles in Word so I can then send to someone to edit. It would be too time-consuming to then re-type my article into CC's template. Please fix this because it makes it very hard to create a newsletter this way. Thank you.

Hi @DianeP1 

I completly understand how this can be frustrating. We don't suggest copy and pasting since not all of the formatting from Word will work with Constant Contact. Can you try pasting without styles?

Status changed to: Voting Open

Thanks for posting this feedback!

All Star

I am relatively new to CC but am seriously thinking of switching to some other provider that supports basic characters like em and en dashes. I work for a publisher and we use these a LOT. I can't believe something this simple has been missing for years! I have been trying the various works arounds posted in forums and they don't work or work well. Has anybody used anything lately (ie. in 2016) that actually works?

Occasional Advisor

It's the most ridiculous issue. What kind of program just doesn't allow a vital piece of punctuation? It's like not being able to use a question mark. I can't believe we even are experiencing this issue. I can't believe how many posts about this I've seen on this forum and still nothing has been done. We need an em dash, en dash, and I would really, really like for you to allow us to switch from straight quotes to smart quotes!

Occasional Advisor

How is it that Constant Contact is supposed to be a great email distribution program and it doesn't allow for the "em dash" or "en dash"? I've had to resort to *gulp* double hyphens!!

Has anyone there taken a grammar or writing course? Have you read all the comments on your boards about this issue?

The em dash is a vital piece of punctuation. I use it daily. Even your forum boards allow for the use of an em dash. However, even copying and pasting won't allow us to use it in our email campaigns.

I can't believe I even have to post this... *sigh*

We really want this too. 

Another vote for this "functionality" to be added. It's the 21st century, after all. 

All Star

I would also like special character functionality in template-based emails. I know HTML and while I like the templates for streamlining, it's frustrating that I can't use an em dash, bullet or smart quotes in CC unless I fully customize my entire email, which is way too time-consuming. HTML offers standard codes for many charaters. CC should allow those bits to be coded into the html of templates without any trouble. Most email programs allow them, CC should too.

Same for me. Get up to speed CC.

Regular Visitor

I would also like to post my support for allowing standard, inline html for special characters.  How is it that Constant Contact does not recognize standard html for "—" and "–"? 

All Star

Yes, please add support for curly quotes and other smart characters in CC.

Visitor
Has this still not been remedied? —