cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typographical

Typographical

Hello Constant Contact, When entering copy into the email, we're unable to use the em dash. Instead, it's truncated into a hyphen. The dash is a vital piece of grammar. Please allow its inclusion. Additionally, when entering a caption under a picture, once saved, the text defaults to white. Invisible, in other words, on a white email. This seems counter-intuitive. Please remedy. Thank you. Kevin at Hudson Valley Lighting

29 Comments
Occasional Contributor

And &nbsp !  

@CarrieD152 wrote:
Hello Constant Contact, When entering copy into the email, we're unable to use the em dash. Instead, it's truncated into a hyphen. The dash is a vital piece of grammar. Please allow its inclusion. Additionally, when entering a caption under a picture, once saved, the text defaults to white. Invisible, in other words, on a white email. This seems counter-intuitive. Please remedy. Thank you. Kevin at Hudson Valley Lighting

<span style="letter-spacing: -2px;">----</span> (EMDASH IN CC)

Occasional Contributor

Agreed. Placing two spaces after each other to fake increased word spacing (as kerning and tracking controls are missing - not surprising though as HTML lacks controls for these too) also gets replaced with a single space.

Advisor

EM DASHES! EM DASHES! EM DASHES! 

I can hardly believe you released a new "editor" and still have not made provision for em and en dashes. I can understand not providing every special character known to humankind, but em and en dashes are essential.

Your competitors have no problem with accepting html coding for these characters, so it can't be all that hard to do.

Solution Provider

I have had people ask me why I don't use em dashes in my emails...and I have to say that the Constant Contact editor doesn't support them. I'm embarrassed that people think I don't know better. Please allow em and en dashes, as well as other common symbols (trademark, registered trademark, copyright).

I want to add my voice to those calling for supporting m-dashes and other extended ASCII characters in Constant Contact. These are standard characters and widely used in email and other communications. The HTML work-around is time-consuming and inconvenient. 

Advisor

What html work-around? I have yet to hear of one. None of the html codes for em dash that I am aware of will work in CC even if you DO go into the code window (which they aren't gonna let us do any more anyway).

CTCT Employee
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Occasional Participant

Now why can't I do that in one of your emails?????