ability to add a forward to friend in emails

ability to add a forward to friend in emails

I created an email using card/announcement and when I tried to add "forward to a friend", "join my mailing list" and permission reminder" I was not able. I would like to have the ability to use these functions in future emails that I create.

Top Answer
Matt_B.
CTCT Employee

Hey all,

I wanted to chime in on this thread regarding the lack of Forward to a Friend in the third-generation editor. The simplest answer is that due to lack of usage in our previous editor (both our users inserting this link, and recipients using this link) we decided not to implement the feature. We also wanted to solve for cases where this feature was used as a workaround (such as getting around possible display issues), with other features or improvements to the editor. We want to focus on the latest and greatest features that will bring as much value as possible to our users. While I can understand that some users found this feature valuable, our plan is not to rebuild the second-generation editor, but rather to learn from its mistakes/successes to create a new, best-in-class editor.

To address some of the concerns around the lack of this feature:

1. Display concerns: some folks like the peace of mind knowing that users can see a “clean-copy” of their email. As a work-around for this, I would recommend including a “View as Webpage” link. This will link to the web version of your email without any potential display issues, and it will not have any personal information of the original recipient.
  2. Referrals and new signups: we recommend including a link to a lead generation landing page within emails that you’re hoping will be referred along. If you wish to have your contacts share your email on their social media pages, you can include a Social Share bar in your email that allows your contacts to easily make this happen. 

267 Comments
Occasional Contributor

They did have it in their Legacy version but for some reason, along with several other items, they omitted it from the new templates.  :( 

Consulting & Training

I've used an old email template for a long time and decided to try one of your new ones for a campaign we sent today.  I'm really discouraged and disappointed!  First... my emails are going to spam more.  The headers look like junk email saying they were sent from the ccsend.com email on behalf of my email.  When I chatted with your chat service, they said it was because I had enable authentication selected.  I have NOT made any changes to my account settings so if that is selected... it was either added by you or has been there all along.  NONE of my previous emails showed the ccsend.com email.  They looked like they were from the email address I selected.  HIGHLY disappointment in this.

Then, some of my favorite features are missing.  We used to be able to add an email address so customers could click to send an email and there were advanced settings so I could set the Subject line and body message.  That's not there anymore.  There are quite a few others missing now too.

To top it off... when I chatted with your rep to ask for an email address to send my feedback to, I was directed here.  I told him I did not want to call or go to a forum... I wanted an email address, but I was denied.

Don't you find that ironic... that you are an email company... but you don't allow your customers to contact you by email?  What the heck?

Not a happy camper.

Occasional Visitor

Forward to a Friend is critical for us and needed. We may be forced to find another service that supports this if not resolved soon.  :-/

We too are surprised we can no longer add Forward to a Friend link using Constant Contact.  When I now forward our e-communications both in either test format or live format, the display changes for the email - the most recent added a background color to the content so that it was difficult to read for the recipient.  

Occasional Visitor

I am seriously considering looking elsewhere for an email provider since the new update took effect considering the lack of features that used to be available.

Hopefully the next release will be soon and add features rather than take away features. It is very disappointing when a company decides to take away features.  Adding I can understand but to just remove them creates the question in my mind of why am I paying the same rate for less!

Frequent Visitor

Forward to a friend (FTAF) is a pain in the bum (PITB) because it requires you to know the email address of the person or persons you are forwarding to. I barely know my family's email addresses.

Copying a link to the web version of the newsletter (View Web Version- VWV) is easy.

Then crack open the email program or even text and paste in the link.

Done.

Unless someone in a Very Important Meeting of Decisioners (VIMoD) decided to get rid of the VWV.

Then we'd be SOL and danged PO'd.

Visitor

Looking to be able to have a button to be able to give readers of my email the option of sharing my email via email.

Established Member

This is such a basic way to grow a list and grow membership. A feature that other mailers seem to have in place. Why doesn't constant contact add a simple "forward to a friend" link that many other vendors such as support?

I've been using CContact for some time. I remember a time when there was a "Forward this email" button we could put into the body of our emails. The problem of someone forwarded my CContact email within their email program as a simple forward, I understand makes it possible for that person who forwards to be unsubscribed if someone they forward it to, unsubscribes.  My thought was the the FORWARD THIS EMAIL button helps reduce that likelihood.  I can't find it anywhere. Does it still exist? And if someone doesn't have a tweet account, the chat is closed, is this the only access to ask a question via email?

Thanks

Arla

Please put me down for adding the forward to a friend feature. I really can't imagine that it would not be used.

Visitor
Legacy accounts get it but new accounts don’t. Wonderful.

Hi @ArlaP 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! This forward to friend feature is not currently an available feature. This feature was available in our previous second generation editor, it was not a feature that was used often causing it to not be carried over to our newest Third Generation Editor. We are however always open to ways we can better our user's experience and have tracked this feature request in your account. As for our support, I apologize you were unable to connect as easily as you should! Though email is not currently a line of support we offer we can be reached by chat, Twitter, Facebook, phone, and here in the Community. With that said, are you also unable to connect with our Chat Support through our contact page?

Regular Visitor

Can my account also have the 'forward to a friend' button feature? 

Add us to the list of folks who want that feature. I've had several subscribers within the last two years who have ended up being unsubscribed because someone they forwarded the email to hit unsubscribe, thinking they were unsubscribing themselves instead of the original recipient. Unfortunately, we don't notice it until the original recipient complains to us that they haven't received anything from us for a while. When we check that out, that's the culprit 9 times out of 10, but since we have to wait until we hear from them, it could be months and months that they've been missing our stuff. Terrible! And it seems like it should be an easy fix. Can we get on that? 

I would like to see this feature back again. Why did you do away with it?

Regular Visitor

If you were really listing to use you would have put this feature back into play as according to this link: https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Need-help-with-something-else/add-the-forward-to-a-friend-f... 

many people been asking for this feature since you removed it in 2017 but guess you don't listen to customers.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for my comments.  My almost weekly phone calls to Constant Contact, wasting approximately 30-45 minutes each call, have only resulted in a suggested "work around" which may or may not work, or just a "we can't do that any more."   I've been a customer for almost 20 years and I am now giving serious thought to how I download all my contacts into a new mail service.  Something happened late last year that obliterated the ease of creating and distributing newsletters through Constant Contact.  To indent a paragraph, I have to type 5 periods and then change them to white so they fade into the background.  Inserting a video results in a preview of color bars instead of an image from the video.  The forward function is gone so when my emails are forwarded the format falls apart and looks amateurish.  The ability to change the background color of a text box is gone.  Divider lines can only be horizontal. I can appreciate that you are "continuing to improve the Community," but wish you would devote some time to improving the product I am paying for monthly.

Regular Visitor

Why take away something that is useful? Please put it back in! Seriously!

Regular Visitor

How do we get access to the legacy editor? What were the advantages to removing something like that? I'm very frustrated. Boss demanding we have it, doesn't understand why we can't. You are not making my life easy at all right now.

Hi @ColletteS40 

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by not having access to this forward to friend feature. Though this is not available in our updated Email newsletters, users who have older Legacy Newsletter campaigns in their account can however copy these emails to access it.