Visitor
SarahU92290

Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

I have just about had it with the terrible formatting problems in Constant Contact, such as formatting that is fine in editing mode, then when you save it it is totally different, with extra spacing between lines or paragraphs, different fonts or sizes, bold when it should be regular, etc., etc. It makes the end product look like some careless employee, i.e. ME, look like I don't know what I'm doing. Anyone else ready to switch to a new vendor?

Jarrad_M
Topics: 276
Kudos: 234
Solutions: 89

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear about your formatting trouble.

I've noticed that most formatting problems happen because either an email is old and has had many copies made from it, or text was copied and pasted into the block.

If you are working from an old copy, I would suggest adding a new block to the email and see if that helps. If you continually work from the same email you can run into issues due to coding.

Even when you completely wipe out all of the text and images from a block, there is still coding and formatting behind that block that is never deleted. When you try to add and format new text in the block, you can run into issues due to the conflicting code. Adding a new block prevents this.

Another option is to create a new email and situate the blocks in the areas you would like them to display in the template. After formatting the blocks, Save that email and use that as your Master Template to make copies from.

If you are copying and pasting formatted text into Constant Contact you can also run into issues at times. That's because the text you are pasting in already has coding and formatting behind it. If our system doesn't recognize the coding or formatting, the text can display incorrectly.

I would suggest pasting text as plain text. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Click the pencil Edit on the block in which you want to paste.
  2. Click Paste as Plain Text Paste
  3. Paste the text.

If you continue to have trouble with formatting please let me know or call us at 1-866-289-2101.

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Visitor
SarahU92290

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

Thank you for the suggestions.

I never copy and paste text, so that is not the issue; I always type directly into a block, as I was told by a CC customer service rep some time back.

I suppose I will try creating a new block. I don't know what you mean by an "old" email. I create a new one every month exactly the way Constant Contact seems to encourage its clients to do it: by clicking the "copy" button to start a new newsletter. If that's not the best way to start a new edition, then CC shouldn't provide that option.

I noticed when I posted this that I was not the only one to have raised the question of formatting. I hope next month's edition goes better. We'll see.

Jarrad_M

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for the miscommunication. I wanted to see if you were copying an old email. Copying an email is not a problem, but I would suggest replacing the blocks if you find yourself running into formatting trouble.

If you have problems with your next email, and you have tried replacing the blocks, please let us know so we can help.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Visitor
JGrant

The one good thing about the crappy constant contact coding is that I've learned HTML  :smileyhappy:))

Visitor
NanH

I agree! I've learned to live with the weird formatting issues, but the new changes to how you upload photos and how you access to edit your current emails are not any kind of improvement - they simply require more clicks to get to the same places you need to go. These updates seem cosmetic more than functional, please consider going back!

Occasional Advisor
Bio-Mechanics_Cycles

Spoiler

I absolutely agree.  I've used CC for years now, and the formatting does my head in every time.  The new version of CC is even worse.  I'm finally looking into other enewsletter providers as I cannot handle yet another round of spaces added in, being unable to un-italicise a paragraph, etc.  It is ridiculous, and a real shame as every other aspect is great. :-(

Regular Advisor
kinetica

I have to agree.  I"ve also used Constant Contact for many years and find that its now more trouble than its worth.  Spaces being added in randomly as well as font changes or not being able to make changes necessary makes for a very frustrating experience.

Jarrad_M

Hi,

I'd be happy to go into each of your emails and see what may be causing these spacing issues. If we have permission to access your account, please let us know along with what email this is happening to.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

Jarrad

LindiB

It's ridiculous that you offer to go into each email and try to resolve the issue "locally". Editing is not a new concept and the problem is the tool that Constant Contact uses. I am so frustrated with the amount of time I waste just trying to do the simplest thing only to have it turn out differently from the Preview anyway. The editor you guys are using is unpredicitable and a huge time suck. This newest version is the worst of all.