LindiB

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

I too have been using CC for years for many clients and I really think I need to start looking for a new provider. It's not ok to have to waste this much time just trying to add bold or get rid of a line. Crazy! The only compfort I have is that I am not alone in my frustration.

Marissa_R
Topics: 435
Kudos: 215
Blog Posts: 306
Solutions: 85

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

Hi Lindi,

I apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing and your frustration.  I have a couple of questions that may turn into ways to correct this for you.

Are you working in a copy of a previously created email?

Are you pasting in content from another platform, like Word?

If you are copying emails, are you editing the blocks or are you adding new ones?

If you are pasting from another source, like Word, are you first pasting into Notepad and then moving into your Constant Contact email?

What browser are you using?

If you're copying emails, try adding new blocks instead of editing the copied ones. Copied emails carry over problematic, hidden coding.  If you're copying from an outside source, try pasting first into Notepad and then copying from that into a new block.  You can also turn on paste w/o formatting in your block.

Normally what causes the biggest problems are those items when it comes to formatting. Either myself or Jarrad would be happy to take a look at your email to assist you to see if your trouble is outside of these troubleshooting steps. Or you can call a live rep at 1-866-289-2101.

I hope that helps!

Marissa Rogers
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
CallAcct

I agree.

This latest change to formatting emails is a nightmare. I'm doing some serious checking on other providers.

I had to add a block at the top of an email just to keep the formatting box from sliding up out of the way so that I had no way to save my changes. I lost the whole top row of the formatting box and there was no way out.

What with all this rollover stuff when I move the mouse around the email--very distracting.

Why are my other blocks grayed out when I'm working on a particular block? I want to see my whole email.

Very frustrating.

Jarrad_M
Topics: 276
Kudos: 234
Solutions: 89

Hi Gail,

I'm very sorry for the trouble you're having.

If you find the editing bar is not floating when you're editing your block, try scrolling up to the top of the email to see if that helps.

The other blocks in your email will become grayed out so that you can tell which block you are working in.

If you'd like us to further investigate the issues you're having, we'd be happy to check your account with your permission. Could you let us know what the name of the email you're working on is?

You can also call support at 1-866-289-2101.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Advisor
SteveP29432

I've been using CC for about 12 years and I have to agree with other posters on this thread. This latest version of the editing interface is the worst yet.

Here's the biggest problem:

In IE 8, I can't highlight any amount of text without the whole block of text being highlighted. I can't tell you how many times I tried highlighting a few words, hit delete, and found I deleted the entire block! Thank God for ctrl-Z that restores my last edit!

After realizing that I could no longer do any editing in IE 8, I shifted to Firefox. I still can't highlight parts of the block without highlighting the whole block, but if I work slowly and carefully, I can highlight a few words and delete them. This has really slowed down my editing process and I still have to rely on ctrl-Z several times during the editing of each block.

CC, if you could respond to this highlighting problem, I'd be very appreciative.

Jarrad_M

Hi Steve,

I'm using Firefox 8.0.1 and don't seem to have issues when I highlight text. Are you copying and pasting your text into the block? Try clearing styles from the block before you highlight the text if you are copying and pasting.

If you'd like us to take a look, I'd be happy to go into your account to test this. Just let us know if we have your permission and which email you're having trouble with.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Occasional Advisor
SteveP29432

Thanks for the quick reply, you can go in and check one set to go out tomorrow morning: Dist-product-update-4-10-12  

Occasional Advisor
SteveP29432

By the way, I don't copy and paste text. I type into the block directly, and go into the html to edit when needed.

Occasional Advisor
SteveP29432

Jarrad,

I tried clearing styles in a block, and I still have the highlighting problem. I can highlight a few words (sometimes) and only those word stay highlighted, but if I highting a couple sentences or paragraphs then the entire page block highlights.

BTW, I'm using Firefox 11.0

Jarrad_M

Hi Steve,

The problem has to do with a stacked variable tag in your code. This can happen when editing the text around the greeting. We corrected this in the T2copy email in your account. We had to go into the HTML and remove the additional <var> and </var> then reset the stylesheet. 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad