cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This area of the Community has been archived.
If you are looking for assistance, please see our Knowledge & Support area. If you are looking to leave feedback, please take a look at the Your Feedback & Ideas area. If you have any questions, you can reach out to our Community team at communitysupport(at)constantcontact(dot)com.

Google Analytics Integration

Highlighted
Visitor

Google Analytics Integration

I just got off the phone with a really lovely customer service agent about a really, really big issue. I created a Google Analytics campaign for a set of emails, and was shocked to learn that it can break links. If I click through the help desk a few times, I can see that it might be an issue, but there's no warning of the sending page, and nothing on the pop up or links (that we found). This is a HUGE oversight. A few recipients have noted that the links have broken, and we now are two weeks behind in a campaign. CC - do better with letting us know about potentially harmful issues!

7 REPLIES 7
Contributing Developer

Re: Google Analytics Integration

I've been here many years.

Problem disclosure is NON EXISTENT from CTCT. 

Hi @SHRM-Atlanta

I'm sorry to hear about any issues that have arisen due to broken links after activating Google Analytics on your campaign. When the Google Analytics box is checked a warning pops up at the top of the page that looks like this:

google analytics.png

Is there somewhere else you would expect for the notice to appear? Perhaps at the bottom of the page near the checkbox? I appreciate your feedback as I can pass it along to our developers. This link will take you to the Google Analytics URL builder so that you can create custom links that will send the information back to your Google Analytics account. I hope this helps, and thank you again for your feedback! 

Natalie B.
Social Media Marketing Manager
Frequent Visitor

Our website does have Google Analytics enabled, so I don't really understand how that error message helps since your note essentially says that we have to build custom links. Perhaps the text of the pop up should read "To use this feature, be sure to create custom URLs with Google Analytics for all of your links. If you don't, they won't work."

Honored Contributor

I use GA on a site as well and have been using the Campaign option when sending.

Its been reliable for more than 6 months until a few weeks again when I realized that 30% of the links on the pages that get created using The Social Promotion tool as well as the link generator contained broken links, while the original email seemed fine.

I haven't had time to spend trouble shooting this but at the moment I DO NOT TRUST THE GOOGLE ANALYTICS OPTION until I can revisit it. 

This was once such an easy to use and dependable tool.   Disappointing how much its changed.  

Honored Contributor

I just sent out a campaign that had a great many links using the CTCT GA integration.  It took me an additional 10 minutes to check the links (20+) that were created in the URL link as well as the Social Share option which apparently uses the same link and all seemed to be OK this time around.

Still gonna check the next 5 and then sample in the future.  Wish I didn't have to waste the time double checking.

Honored Contributor

Sent out a long piece today and checked each link sending to a preview address.

Added the GA Name and resent to my production list and HALF the links were broken.

By leaving in code that you know is broken you have embarrassed my client and his brand.

YOU NEED TO REMOVE GOGGLE ANALYTICS OPTION

from what seem to be a spiralling out of control product.

This really sucks.  If you know its broken then fix it or remove it.   Your product has become so much extra work at this point in addition to being unreliable for large commercial use.  After 7 years of using it, I'm looking for alternatives in 2016.

Can you tell I'm upset??  HORRIBLE ... and totally unacceptable !!!!

Honored Contributor

Has the CTCT staff stopped responding to customer complaints here?

I see a general approach of ignoring posts lately.

I know there have been more complaints and requests to cancel accounts and your company was purchased for a billion dollars, is this the new community strategy?
Ignore us?