Wolfithius

How accurate are the statistics?

We sent out an email that would seem to have quite a bit of interest to managers of companies who will vote for a board of directors. The open rate is about 27% and the click through rate to the flyer was 5% of the total. Can Constant Contact always tell if an email is opened? What if it was previewed? It also says it was never forwarded, and again, there would be a good reason to forward.
Clique_Marketing
Topics: 13
Kudos: 88
Ideas: 10
Solutions: 12

How accurate are the statistics?

[ Edited ]

If graphics are not enabled the open measurement is compromised as it relies on a small graphic to be loaded and counted. The worrisome part of your post is the 5% CTR. That's why its important to create Call to Actions that don't depend heavily on graphics being viewed or create a fallback option to the graphic option.

Occasional Participant
MarkD240

Re: How accurate are the statistics?

I'm curious as well, we sent our first email and over 24 hours later we still show a 78% UNOPENED rate. Seems insanely high.

Thoughts?

Marissa_R
Topics: 435
Kudos: 215
Blog Posts: 306
Solutions: 85

Hi Mark,

We track opens if someone clicks a link in your email and downloads the images.  If people do not view your images or click a link, that is seen as they are not opening it. Though, they could be opening it in fact.

I hope that helps!

Marissa Rogers
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Participant
MarkD240

While most of the images in the email were on our server, two were in fact on youurs, so it should track correctly. But 78% unopened a day and a half later is very suspicious.

Marissa_R

Yes, we track by inserting a 1px by 1px image of our own. Once the contact chooses to view images, it counts as an open.  Have you tried hitting the refresh icon? Sometimes the system doesn't refresh on it's own.

Marissa Rogers

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Participant
MarkD240

Yes, I have. Smart icon insert idea if it allows tracking of custom mailers like ours, but we DID have two images on your server anyway.

Again, 78% showing as unopened after 36 hours of weekday time suggests a tracking issue to me.

Marissa_R

Hi Mark,

I took a look at your email's coding and I see that you removed our tracking tag. So only those that have clicked links within your email are being counted as opens.

The tracking code looks like this <OpenTracking/> and that has to be included in the coding for us to track opens when using custom code.

Here is a link to our Advanced Editor User's Guide that has more information in it to help you when creating custom coded emails.

Hope that helps!

Marissa Rogers

Occasional Participant
MarkD240

We took nothing out, we simply as web developers - and after trying a very poor responsive template you offered - used your custom code option. Apparently your system fails to add your imagge or code into custom options.

And further, 'Open' are showing at 22% while links clicked are showing at a MUCH lower %.

Marissa_R

My apologies, Mark. The open tracking is automatic in HTML. It has to be added in XHTML. You are using HTML.  The open rate is correct.

Marissa Rogers