Regular Visitor
DonaE

RE: Creating a custom email template from existing HTML and using Constant Contact tags

I'd like to create a custom email template from an existing XHTML source (which I've already done, no problem), and then modify it to use Constant Contact tags.

Alternatively, I could use an existing template and modify its source code, including Constant Contact tags, although that seems like more work than the first approach.

I've been trying to figure out how to look at the source code for an existing template, so I can pattern my own after it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to view the source code for an existing template.  Is that somehow considered a no-no?

I've found the Advanced Editor User's Guide, where there's some discussion of Constant Contact tags, but precious little in that about how to use those tags, except at a very low level, and no complete tag description.  For example, the <ForEach> tag is mentioned, but the closest the document comes in documenting what it does and why/when you might want to use it is buried in some text, and says; "In the following example, the paragraph is within a <ForEach> loop (which allows you to add additional paragraphs in the Wizard)."

Could someone tell me where to go to find out how to do these things, and where to get more detailed tag information?

Thanks in anticipation...

Ryan_D
Topics: 0
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 21

Re: RE: Creating a custom email template from existing HTML and using Constant Contact tags

Hey Dona,

Currently there is no way to view the existing code into an email template as they are programmed with proprietary software and  are created internally.  We have no way as of yet to have you create your very own theme from scratch.  This is a great feature request and I will pass it on to the engineers. 

Now you can definitely customize your templates by editing the style-sheet and adding HTML to the blocks themselves.  Once you customize it the way you would like you can make a copy of the email and use that as your own template. 

Now if you want to use your own X / HTML you can create these from scratch, however anyone who edits the email will need to know HTML.  The Advanced editors guide shows you how to use our custom XHTML in the XHTML emails but it wont allow you to create dynamic data like it sounds like you are doing. 

Please let me know if this helps.

Ryan Davis
Support Engineer, Constant Contact
Regular Visitor
DonaE

Re: RE: Creating a custom email template from existing HTML and using Constant Contact tags

Thanks, Ryan, for the informative response.

I have managed to do what you suggest, and create an email based on an existing template, and then modify it to my needs.  Fortunately, I know HTML and CSS so I could mostly figure it out, although it's not for the faint of heart. 8^)

Forwarding this suggestion to the engineers would be much appreciated!

The first thing I did was to create an email based on our own XHTML, but our goal was to have an email format that people could add content to without having to know lots of techie things like HTML and CSS.  So, this approach didn't solve our problem.  Modifying en existing templare did.

Regards

Occasional Visitor
MichaelV43

Yeah, having the same problem here. I guess it can't be done, but it would be really nice to have this feature. Almost every other service like this allows you to upload your own HTML and add tags and hooks in them. I can upload my design but only with resistance on Constant Contacts end.

I would also like a way to be able to design the header and footer text (unsubscribe, physical address, etc). Now a days design is everything and an email that looks sloppy or not beautifully designed might make its way to the junk bin simply because of that.

Please incorporate these features soon! Thanks :smileyhappy: 

Valued Contributor
JoeS0

Michael,

As far as the Header and Footer text, unfortunately, right now we still don't have a way to change those, but it is something that I can recommend to the engineers!

As far as bringing in your code and adding your own tags and hooks in them, our advanced editor will just be a text box, but something that I've tried is taking your code inside the <body> tags and inserting them into the code view in a block in our new wizard. The downside is that all of your styles will have to be inline and there's no guarantees it's going to be a perfect sync, but you'll be in a WYSIWYG editor at that point so manipulating beyond the resistance will be a lot simplier to work with.

Though not perfect at the moment, it is worth trying. I hope that answer works for you! I apologize if I am wrong on what is actually being asked here.

Joe

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"