Copyrights & Trademarks

W.TimothyF
Rookie
0 Votes

The company that designed and hosts my website is telling me I need to register the complete website in order to have it under my ownership and to make all the data that is under the banner of my site as my intellectual property legally for copyright and trademark purposes. 

They will be process an application to the Federal Government where my logo and website will be sent and it will be evaluated that it’s not matching with any other business in the state I’ll be running this as my business signature.

The process is for a one-time cost only with no additional charges. For a statewide filing it would cost me $3500. For a nationwide filing it would cost me $4500. 

This is my second website in four years. The previous design and hosting company never requested this. It feels like grifting. Welcome your thoughts. 

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @W.TimothyF ,

In all honesty, considering the legal and financial elements of all of this, it'd be better to ask advice from your legal counsel directly, if you have one. Otherwise, if you're able to find a lawyer, especially one that specializes in trademark and copyright law, they'd be your best resource.

If the website host has already drawn up a contract / terms for the service, it'd likely be best to provide it to the legal counsel so they can go over it and make sure you're not being swindled or otherwise strung along for the costs. It may cost money to ask a lawyer to provide any counsel, especially if reviewing the contract, but it'll be far less than the money you'd be giving if the host's offer isn't what they've claimed it to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST