Greeting error in email

SOLVED
Go to solution
ABL2020
Participant

Greeting error in email

Hi all,

We sent out a Giving Tuesday fundraising email this morning, and it accidentally went out to 2,000 people with a broken greeting that just reads, "Hi {First Name}," in the body of the email. It must have lost the tag function when I was formatting and I didn't notice. Super embarassing.

I'm thinking I should just leave it alone, but does anyone think I should follow up with an apology? Probably not, right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_D

Hello @ABL2020 ,

It may be worth still resending just to show that your organization is on top of these elements. Contacts and customers generally are okay with these types of correction / follow up emails as long as it doesn't become habitual or spammy (i.e. having to issue a correction every time an email is sent or having the exact same error each time).

When setting up your email to include a contact's first name, you'll want to insert a greeting tag, as that's a coded element that will tell our system to replace the text with a contact's info before actually sending it to them. 

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
William_D

Hello @ABL2020 ,

It may be worth still resending just to show that your organization is on top of these elements. Contacts and customers generally are okay with these types of correction / follow up emails as long as it doesn't become habitual or spammy (i.e. having to issue a correction every time an email is sent or having the exact same error each time).

When setting up your email to include a contact's first name, you'll want to insert a greeting tag, as that's a coded element that will tell our system to replace the text with a contact's info before actually sending it to them. 

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

View solution in original post

user153609
Occasional Participant

Hi, William, 

I've just had the same issue today and it seems to be at your end as the web page is referring to me as First Name. I've emailed support and not heard back yet.Do you have a data/ systems issue currently ? 

Hello @user153609 ,

It looks like you already posted in Get Help. No issues on our end, but I did address what needs to be changed / updated in your account and emails in that thread.

William D

user153609
Occasional Participant

Hi William, just tried again with your version .. same problem .. here's the test when I sent to my email 

[REMOVED BY MODERATOR FOR CONTAINING PERSONAL AND CONTACT INFO]

Plus you're also still referring to me as First Name on the web site 

user153609_1-1619124394500.png

and the Contact list data looks fine: 

[REMOVED BY MODERATOR FOR CONTAINING PERSONAL AND CONTACT INFO]

So it seems like glitch at your end. If I insert the Email address as a field the data is fine but Last Name also fails. 

Send one to your self and see. 

Tim

Hello @user153609 ,

I just went into your account, and you still haven't updated the Personal Information in the My Account area to properly show the account owner's name.

Additionally, when I went into the CSC copy, set up the subject line perosnalization, greeting tag, and contact details per the article's instructions, added myself as a contact, and sent that email to a list with just my contact, everything went through and displayed as expected.

Please also keep in mind that preheaders can't have personalization. Typing things in brackets will also not automatically make them coded elements. When sending test emails, they will only display the account owner's name and secondary defaults, and will auto-insert the actual information when sent live.

For full instructions on all the processes mentioned, please read through the articles in my reply to your main thread.

William D

ErikR11
Participant

This is not a helpful response from CC. I had an email go out this morning with the same problem - the greeting tag I inserted magically became {Dear First Name} overnight - and now CC's techs are trying to tell me that this is what I must have typed in! (Umm, no.) Clearly there's an issue where the greeting tag can somehow be undone once it's been inserted, and it's not clear that has happened. Really frustrating and not great CS at all on this issue (because I typed in "Dear {First Name}"? I don't think so).