A way to personalize? (ie mail merge)

SOLVED
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Adding Contact Details to your email

Hi Marc. The easiest way to add information to a contact list is to create a spreadsheet and update those contacts in bulk.

First, create the spreadsheet in Excel or another spreadsheet program (if it's not Excel, you will need to save it as a CSV file). The important information is the email address and the data you would like to add:

update4.png

Then, log into Constant Contact and go to the Contacts tab. Then click on the Add & Update button:

update1.png

On the Add Contacts overlay, click on the Update Existing Contacts button over on the right:

update2.png

That will bring you to a page where you will need to browse to the spreadsheet file that you just made. Once that is selected, hit Submit.

update3.png

Finally, it will ask you where to put the new or updated information. Select the appropriate field from the drop-down (in this case, Custom Field 1 is probably the best):

update5.png

Hit Submit, and it will update your contacts for you. Any questions, please let us know.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted

How To Use Custom Fields

Currently in your account you have the option to add 20 preset fields of information and 20 custom fields to your contact data. The pre-set fields are things like first name, last name, address, city, state, etc. The custom fields can be any information you would like! These fields can collect up to 50 characters of information.

How would I use a custom field?

• John owns a bookstore and wants to be able to offer his customers a 20% off coupon during their birthday month. He's changed "Custom Field 1" to "Month of Birth" and he is now able to sort for all the contacts born in a specific month.
  • The local sporting goods shop specializes in baseball, soccer and football equipment for adults and children. Instead of sending one long email to everyone, they want to cater the content of their emails to each group. They have used a custom field to determine if the player is adult or youth and a second custom field that labels the sport(s) played. When it comes time to promote a new stock in adult baseball mitts, they can send to just the customers fitting that category.
  • Joe's Gym offers yearly membership packages. They use custom fields to collect membership numbers and expiration dates for each member so when they get close to expiration, Joe sends a renewal reminder that asks them to renew their membership. He pulls the number into the email using a custom field so the contact is able to reference past charges. 

Don't worry, we've got all the directions for inserting, uploading, including and using contact details. Check out these FAQ's:

How do you use contact details and custom fields?

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: How To Use Custom Fields

This post thread is archived. Content is saved for education; however, it will not be updated with new links or images. If you need additional information please create a new post/message.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Unable to Add Custom Text Into a Message

I created an email with a message and in the beginning I want to personalize it to say "Dear Mr. First Last." I can add the First Name and Last Name fields to the message and i added the titled to Custom Field 3 and inserted "Custom Text 3" right before first name, but it does not work. I assigned each contact's title under Custom Field 3, but it shows up as "Custom Field 3 John Doe" when i preview the message.

I did some searching and found that this is not possible probably because custom field 3 and custom text 3 is not linked together. Is there anyway to do this or is it not supported yet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to Add Custom Text Into a Message

Hi Thomas,

This is actually really easy to do! I'll show you!

Go into your block, delete all that Dear Contact First Name Contact Last Name you have in there.

Then on the left, click the Greeting option (it has a purple hi next to it). Then in th the Primary Greeting section, type Dear in the first empty block, choose First & Last Name in the secton, then put your comma in the last block.

It's that easy! Let me know if you have any questions!

Also, in Preview mode it is not going to pull the actual information because in Preview, it pulls from your contact information as the owner of the account and you don't have custom fields in the system.

Occasional Participant

Yes i can already do that...what i want to do is add a personal title in front of the name so "Dear MR. John Doe," I added all the titles to a custom field but theres no way to add those custom fields to an email.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My apologies, I didn't realize you wanted the "Mr" part.

Then yes, you would type in Dear then use the "Custom Field" "Contact First Name" "Contact Last Name".

The only way for you to test this to see the results would be to make sure you are in a list in your account, make sure you have that Custom Field filled in. Then make a copy of your email and send it to your test list.

Sorry for my misunderstanding previously.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hello Marissa,

I tested this already and the custom field doesn't show up so that is my current problem. Instead of Mr. John Doe, it says Custom Text 3 John Doe. Also, it says Custom Field under the properties for each individual user, but it says Custom Text when you are trying to insert it into the email. Is there a descrepency with that?

This should be fairly simple to do like mail merge, but it just isn't working, so that is why i was questioning whether custom text was supported.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Ok, 

I'm in your account now. I made a copy of your TEST!!! email.  In the block, you have "Dear Contact First Name Contact Last Name". I have added myself to a test list within your account with my "title" - I assume that is custom text 3?

In my copy of this email, I am going to add "Custom Text 3" aka title before Contact First Name and send myself a test.

If you see this, please email me at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your phone number so I can reach you please.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas,

I was able to get this to work. I just left you a voicemail. Please give me a call back at your earliest convenience.

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured