ALt Text not visible for some images.

CPPL
Regular Participant

ALt Text not visible for some images.

Hello,

I typically add alt text through the library, then edit. We don't send out communication through constant contact, instead we forward a test email. Upon fwd the email some of the images do capture the alt text and some do not.  All images have alt text in constant contact. I've followed a guide, which said to minimize the description to no more than 125 characters (something like that). I've tried varies descriptions, short and long, we use outlook as our email source. Is there a reason why some images capture the alt text and some don't?

10 REPLIES 10
William_D

Hello @CPPL ,

It sounds like this is a very recent issue that we've seen come up specifically for Outlook. If you use Outlook's zoom in tool, and make sure all images are downloaded, does that then display all images' alt texts? If not please let us know and we'll reach out to our higher level technical team for some additional troubleshooting and insight.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CPPL
Regular Participant

Hello William,

I'm unsure what you mean by zoom in tool in outlook. Outlook does create a message asking to download images, after I download, then fwd the constant contact email, which converts into a template,  right click on an image to view menu, select alt text on an image, I noticed a few had the alt text originating from constant contact, others did not they were blank. I hope this helps and not confusing you. Thank you for your help.

Your outlook doesn't have a way to zoom in, @CPPL ? A little magnifying glass with a + sign, or just by doing CTRL + on a PC or CMD + on a mac?

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CPPL
Regular Participant

I tried doing CTRL+ and nothing seems to appear before or after I downloaded the images.  I tried again in my communication but was unsuccessful. I've attached some screenshots, the first which shows a clip art of a turkey next to the word november, when I fwd the email and right click for alt text, the alt text appears. When I move down the communication to the section LinkedIn the image does not show alt text nor when I right click to view alt text. The LinkedIn learning image, alt text was added in constant contact. I hope this visual helps.Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.37.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.39.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.38.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.40.14 AM.png.

Is the issue occurring with live sends or test sends - not the forwards, but the actual emails that come directly from us, @CPPL ? If it does occur with live and test sends, that's something our T2 team will want to troubleshoot further.

If the issue is only occurring in the forwarded version of the email, unfortunately we have no control over that. When an email is forwarded, the system it's in (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.) essentially reinterprets the HTML for their own purposes, which can cause some formatting issues like spacing, coloring, font, or even how images function.

William D

CPPL
Regular Participant

Yes, it's happening with test sends. Before I was able to view alt text before downloading any images in the test email. Now, I'm unable to view them. The fwd portion is only an extra step for me to double check on alt text. The below screenshot is from the test send email, not a fwd, I can't see alt text in the blank square, this is before downloading images in the email.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.37.52 AM.png

Thank you for all the information. We've had intermittent success with the alt text showing up on our end, so I'm submitting your case to the engineers for further review, with all the knowledge that the workarounds didn't help on your end.

At this time, with the lack of reports, sporadic occurrence, and the newness of the issue, we don't have an ETA on a fix. But, if and when there is one, the engineers will make sure to notify you @CPPL .

William D

CPPL
Regular Participant

Thank you!

aarony16
Real Estate

Hey i am having trouble with this too, my alt texts are disappearing and appearing randomly. How can i make my alt texts stay for all my emails?

Hello @aarony16 ,

Have you tried any of the general troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread's previous replies? What were your results?

William D