API Permission Denied through Instagram

SOLVED
Go to solution
jasonk2021
Rookie

Why am I getting a permission denied when I tried sharing a post through the social share option ? It kicked it back twice yesterday to where I just went on instagram myself and posted it manually! 
Anyone know how to fix this ????
thank you 

Jason 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @Phoenix_Onesong ,

Social platforms, especially Facebook (and by extension Instagram), will occasionally refresh their API permissions, which requires 3rd party connections to have to be re-established by the users. You can disconnect a social page from your Constant Contact account from the Social tab. You may also need to revoke our permissions on the Facebook (or other social app) side as well. Then you can reconnect the page and reinstate those permissions from the Social tab in your CTCT account.

You'll also want to check that the Instagram account you're connecting is a true business page, not a creator page (they will look similar but have very different API and permissions restrictions. If it's set to be a creator page, you'd need to get it swapped back to a professional setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello @Phoenix_Onesong ,

Social platforms, especially Facebook (and by extension Instagram), will occasionally refresh their API permissions, which requires 3rd party connections to have to be re-established by the users. You can disconnect a social page from your Constant Contact account from the Social tab. You may also need to revoke our permissions on the Facebook (or other social app) side as well. Then you can reconnect the page and reinstate those permissions from the Social tab in your CTCT account.

You'll also want to check that the Instagram account you're connecting is a true business page, not a creator page (they will look similar but have very different API and permissions restrictions. If it's set to be a creator page, you'd need to get it swapped back to a professional setup.

11 REPLIES 11
William_A
Administrator

Hello @jasonk2021 ,

Are you trying to connect a personal account or a business page? You may need to disconnect and then reconnect the account if you continue to have issues with the Insta API.

William A

I have the same issue. YES Instagram is a profession account.

The email address I log into Instagram is not the same as I use to log into Constant Contact.  Does that matter?

According to people I've spoken with at CC, my accounts are linked, but it is being denied for lack of API authority.  I have also disconnected and reconnected our Instagram profile.  Facebook works just fine....

Thank you, Leigh Anne

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @SRVAssociations. Not having the same email address for your Constant Contact account and your Instagram account shouldn't matter. Thank you for taking the time to reconnect your account. Instagram uses the Facebook API so we will want to try some troubleshooting at the Facebook end.

We'll want to confirm the Facebook account you are logged in with is an admin, editor, or moderator for the Facebook page. You can find this on Facebook by going to the Page > Page Settings > Page Roles.

Even though you disconnected and reconnected, you may need to take it a step further. If you haven't done so already, go to Facebook and completely remove our ability to post to the page. Then go back to your Constant Contact account to reconnect Facebook and Instagram.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
SophiaL37
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

Hi. I'm having the same issue. It is a business account that was just connected yesterday! It posted on both Twitter and Facebook, but not on Instagram. Any help is welcome here. Thanks.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Can you confirm the Insta page is a business account, and not listed as a creator account in Insta's system? Have you tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the account?

William A
ColletteF24
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm also having the same problem trying to connect to a business Instagram. Both Twitter and Facebook worked easily. 

William_A
Administrator

Can you confirm the Insta page is a business account, and not listed as a creator account in Insta's system? Have you tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the account?

William A
user835029
Campaign Contributor

I followed this thread as I had the same problem, then looked at the Insta account and found a colleague had switched it from Business to Creator mode. Switching it back solved the problem, thank you.

vibratac
Rookie

Heads up everyone, this is the fix. Just did it myself and the post went through.

Phoenix_Onesong
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Im trying to share my post to instagram via my account. I have done this in the past with no problem...but today its saying: API Permission Denied

Retry

Can you please help me remedy this problem. Thank You. 
~Phoenix

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @Phoenix_Onesong ,

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST