Additional Lines in Outlook; Forwarded Emails Add White Spacing Between Blocks

VictoriaC073
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

The footer of our original emails ends up with two horizontal lines between content blocks when received in the latest version of Outlook--which half the world uses.  A faint blue line and a thin white line.

It gets even worse when forwarding an email--white blocks are added between each block of content. It's a mess! The latter could possibly be solved by bringing back the Forward to a Friend button.

Does anyone out there have any workarounds since CC hasn't addressed this, at least in the two years I've been using CC.

Constant Contact Header Footer Problems.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @VictoriaC073,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're very sorry that this has continued to be an ongoing issue for you. Since the issue is isolated to Outlook, we're continuing to work with Microsoft to resolve the coding problems.

Regarding forwards, ideally the email client will preserve the coding utilized for the originally-sent email, but some email clients drastically reinterpret the coding upon forwarding as it is technically now their coding creating the email.

The only guaranteed workaround for these issues at the moment is inserting a View As Webpage link. When your contacts click this link it will display the email in its absolute purest form, unadulterated by any email client's coding or IT firewalls.

I understand it's not the most ideal practice, but as this seems isolated to one type of email client and not to any specific email service provider, this is the most effective workaround available.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread and we would be happy to assist. Have a good evening!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
WAMA
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

If you are an office365 user or have access to corporate OWA -- you can use the browser client to forward without adding the extra lines.

Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @WAMA,

Thank you for that feedback! We are glad you found a work around. Unfortunately, that may not work every time you forward but we are still currently working with Outlook to get this issue fixed! 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
LynnL68
Rookie
0 Votes

This issue is still happening, are you still working with outlook on this?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @LynnL68 ,

At the moment our engineers are still working with Microsoft to figure out where exactly this issue is coming from. In the meantime, the best workarounds are going to be either making the outer background and inner backgrounds the same color, or providing a View As Webpage link.

William A
DWillich
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello,

Are there any updates to this issue?  I am just seeing the link work-around mentioned above, so that may help temporarily but I'd love a solid fix with Outlook!

SusanF603
Brand Influencer
0 Votes

This is still happening...I'm getting complaints from a client about the same thing.

Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @SusanF603 and @DWillich,

At the moment our engineers are still working with Microsoft to figure out where exactly this issue is coming from. In the meantime, the best workarounds are going to be either making the outer background and inner backgrounds the same color or providing a View As Webpage link.

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
BrianM491
Rookie
0 Votes

Just chiming in to say that we're still having this problem in 2023 – are those engineers still working with Microsoft on a solution after the 4 years since this post was started? I'm using an outer background colour that is not the same as the inner background colour (which I find pretty important to prevent your content from looking like it's floating in space), and the spacing is a mess in Outlook. Very frustrating to get client approval on a design only to find out it's full of inconsistent spacing and gaps in Outlook (which as another user pointed out is a large percentage of readers). Also "View as Webpage" should be an option for readers that have their images turned off, not a solution for readers who are turned off by the look of your email. Can we please get this issue resolved?  

DKent
Rookie
0 Votes

This issue is affecting me as well. Would greatly appreciate a fix or some advice/workaround to avoid it?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

There isn't really a way to avoid it as it's something occurring on Outlook clients across multiple ESPs, including us. It's something Outlook will need to resolve internally.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST