The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Advanced search / search custom fields

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Advanced search / search custom fields

For the life of me, can not figure out how to search custom contact fields using new Contacts interface.  Can't add them with modify columns.  Can freeform search.  Was so easy under old interface.  What am I missing?

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Advanced search / search custom fields

Hello @TravisM2. We do not currently have a way to search by custom field in the new Contacts interface but you can create a segment to search for that custom field in you contacts. We do apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Adelina R
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I don't think the segment function works with any searches on custom fields.  I have tried on basic fields and am able to get it to work.  I can not get it to come up with any records with a custom field.  I have tried multiple custom fields with multiple different types of searches (in, begins with, contains) and different types of fields (numbers, text).

Separately, can we expect being able to search by custom fields to return?  It seems like a very odd design decision to take this functionality away.  It was super useful if you use CC for very light database management.  It allowed us to do custom list creation, and exporting from database, in very easy way.  I can imagine moving our CC database away to a different product just because of this lack of functionality.

Alternatively, can we roll back to the old Contacts interface?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Employee

Hello @TravisM2,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are currently submitting feedback so that more improvements can be done in the with the new Contact Redesign shortly. We are currently moving forward with this new contact view so we can't bring it back. Your feedback has been submitted, and you will be notified with updates. Thanks! 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks Zoe- is the segment function expected to work using custom fields?  I can not get it to work.  If not, I think that means I have to export the entire database to an external app (say, Excel) in order to do any filtering with custom fields?  If so, that is a huge change in functionality for the worse.  Thanks. 

Highlighted
Employee

Hello @TravisM2,

The segment tool does not work for custom fields yet, but it is expected too soon and you will be notified when that happens. We really do appreciate your feedback! 

Zoe H.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thank you for quick response - I do appreciate it.  This basically means we can't do what we have been doing for many, many years, which is using custom fields to create various mailings.  I guess maybe there is a work-around where I export a list, do a manual slice and then re-upload emails to some new list I create just for this purpose?  I have urgent emails to send so can't really wait for you add that functionality back to contacts or fix the segments.  (By the way, segments acts like you should be able to do custom fields and then just gives you zero contacts - seems like should not have functionality available that simply does not work?  I tried about 15 different ways/times thinking I was doing something wrong.). You are pushing me into trying a different product in a setting where I have been very happy with what you guys do.  Lots of time, energy, resources into populating custom fields that are now, basically, unavailable to us in any meaningful way?  Are we unusual in using custom fields?  We must be, otherwise this will quickly turn into a large group of customers that can't do what we have always been able to do.  (Or, tell me I am missing something and I can use my custom fields in some way?)

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Wait, it gets worse.  Export does not export my custom fields.  It lets me check the box but nothing is added in the csv or excel file.  What the heck is going on?  This is literally mission critical to what we do.  I need that data.

Highlighted
Employee

Hello @TravisM2,

So that we can do some additional research on why your contacts won't export with custom fields included, would you mind emailing social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com your username and a reference to this post please? Thank you! 

Zoe H.

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured