Allowed characters in alt text

SOLVED
Go to solution
CareConnectTeam
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I've heard that commas are not allowed in image alt text.

Can we get a list of characters that are not allowed in alt text? And is there a character limit?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you'd like to leave feedback for the devs regarding alt text character limits and supported characters, we'd recommend leaving a comment and voting on this Feedback post.

---

Hello @CareConnectTeam ,

I reached out to the team that handles our Knowledge Base articles so they could update the one for "Edit an Image's Description or Alt Text" to include this info.

At this time, the unsupported characters are: / \ ; : * ? " | < > ,

As for the character limit, it is currently 255 - including spaces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you'd like to leave feedback for the devs regarding alt text character limits and supported characters, we'd recommend leaving a comment and voting on this Feedback post.

---

Hello @CareConnectTeam ,

I reached out to the team that handles our Knowledge Base articles so they could update the one for "Edit an Image's Description or Alt Text" to include this info.

At this time, the unsupported characters are: / \ ; : * ? " | < > ,

As for the character limit, it is currently 255 - including spaces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
CareConnectTeam
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Thanks so much!

hdmarketing
Campaign Collaborator

At this point, why are there any unsupported characters? Sounds like lazy developers...

ButlerC
Rookie

I agree with this. We need those characters to allow for effective alt-text. I struggle every time I write alt-text because of these limitations. Please provide a fix for this. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST