Are you experiencing large numbers of bounces from gmail addresses?

JulieL34
Super Participant

Are you experiencing large numbers of bounces from gmail addresses?

Last Monday we sent out an email that had almost 200 bounces, most to gmail addresses. I spoke with a support rep on Friday, who told me there had been some problems at gmail that caused erroneous bounce messages to be sent out. She thought the problem had been corrected, and suggested I resend using quicksend to those addresses, which I did. However I cannot see any way to view a report on that mailing so I would know whether those addresses bounced again.

This morning we sent another message and this time there were more than 300 bounces, again most of them gmail addresses. I haven't figured out yet whether they are a whole different set of addresses or the same ones. Are other people having this problem? Anyone know a good way to resolve the issue? Is calling support again worth it? I really wish that when we make a report like this, Constant Contact would follow up with us to let us know if it is happening again, or what their current assessment of the issue is.

6 REPLIES 6
William_D

Hello @JulieL34 ,

Our engineers got the greenlight from Google last week that the issue was resolved and mass-unsuspended the affected contacts. If you're still having issues, then it would be best to reach out to Deliverability so they can see why your particular Gmail contacts are still bouncing / getting suspended, especially with that many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William D
Community & Social Media Support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
OzB1
Frequent Participant

We're having the same issue. I just now sent another email and our bounce rate is very high. This morning we had 158 bounces with lots of Gmail addresses (we're usually much lower). Seems to still be an issue.

JulieL34
Super Participant

I spoke with someone in the deliverability department on Wednesday the 23rd, who told me that, although the problem on gmail's end was resolved, it takes some time for the process on Constant Contact's end to remove the addresses from the suspended category. It seemed that by my calling they would take the particular addresses that were bouncing in our account and "push" them through (my word not theirs). I did subsequently (the next day) get a message from them that they had updated my suspended bounces. I think this means it is ok for me to try again to reach these addresses but I wrote to check with them first and have not received a response yet. I'm going to go ahead and try anyway if they don't respond today.

Hello @OzB1,

Our engineers got the greenlight from Google last week that the issue was resolved and mass-unsuspended the affected contacts. If you're still having issues, then it would be best to reach out to Deliverability so they can see why your particular Gmail contacts are still bouncing / getting suspended, especially with that many.

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
OzB1
Frequent Participant

Thanks. They said they'll take care of it. You know, this would have been good to let all of your clients know about this issue. It seems many have gmail addresses 😉

Thanks so much!

Hello @OzB1,

I apologize that you didn't receive the message we sent about this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Have a wonderful day! 

Zoe H.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.