Borders appearing even when border is set as 0

AmbulatoryManagement
Brand Visionary

Hi! I have noticed that in the last two emails I sent that I built in the newest email editor, the messages show up as having outer borders around the content when I have sent them, even though no borders appear either in the editor itself or with the "Preview" function. Under the "Design" tab the "Outer border" is definitely set as 0, which I thought should make it invisible, but it appears anyway. This seems to be a bug and I wanted to report it and describe it here to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Then I'd advise reaching out to Outlook to see if they'd have any further insight. Outlook can cause some odd appearance issues at times, due to how the Word system reads HTML, so it may be causing this random border to show based on how it's configuring the HTML code being sent. 

For more info on common display issues, I'd recommend checking out this blog post.

8 REPLIES 8
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AmbulatoryManagement ,

I'm not able to recreate the issue you're describing when test sending any of the last few emails you've sent, as well as your most recent drafts. Is this issue occurring in specific email programs/apps? Is it occurring specifically in dark mode, light mode, or both in the affected programs/apps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AmbulatoryManagement
Brand Visionary

I am experiencing the issue in Microsoft Outlook (to be very specific, Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20644 64-bit). Not sure if there is a light vs. dark mode switch in the program. The display settings have not been modified from default.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Does this occur in any other Outlook programs you have access to, or in their mobile app? You may want to reach out to Outlook's support to see if they'd have any insight on why these borders would be getting added, especially if it's a color that doesn't even match what you have set in your email's design elements.

William A
AmbulatoryManagement
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

The issue is identical in Outlook webmail. The color actually does match the design elements. In the template, the outer border was set as that same color blue (as are the dividers), it's just also set at 0 and should not be displaying.

AmbulatoryManagement
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

If it helps, here's a screenshot - most text blurred out for our privacy but you get the idea. That blue border shouldn't be there.borders.png

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Then I'd advise reaching out to Outlook to see if they'd have any further insight. Outlook can cause some odd appearance issues at times, due to how the Word system reads HTML, so it may be causing this random border to show based on how it's configuring the HTML code being sent. 

For more info on common display issues, I'd recommend checking out this blog post.

William A
DanaD20
Rookie
0 Votes

I am having the same issue. Did you solve it? 

AmbulatoryManagement
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

No, it still happens. Every time I send an email I have to ensure I set the border as both 0 width and white (i.e., the color of the background of my emails). I'm not sure if that fixes the border in a way that makes it truly not display, or if it still shows up anyway, but just invisibly because it matches the background it's on. I suspect the latter.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST