Extra characters were added to a URL of a link after it was sent to the email list, making the link broken. I sent myself a preview email so I could check every link, and they all worked. After I sent my email to an email list, I got word a link was broken. Somehow, the url got messed up in the sending process because the link in the preview is still correct, but the link in the actual email that was sent out is broken.
I am so sorry to hear one of your links did not pull the correct page! We understand how important it is for the correct information in your emails to be shared with contacts. We would be happy to troubleshoot this further for you! Please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com a reference to this post with:
We sure can help! We would however need the information previously requested in this thread. This information being your username, the name of this campaign, the affected URL, and email address that experienced this and the email client used to view your campaign. Please email us these details to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with a reference to this post for further assistance.