The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

CC Running Slow at Nights and Weekends for Six Months!

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

CC Running Slow at Nights and Weekends for Six Months!

Since at least March, Constant Contact has been running extremely slow on many late evenings (based on USA time) and also sometimes at weekends. This is not just impacting me but also my colleagues, so cannot be related to any specific browser or connectivity issues.

For example, last night, 8/22, my colleague notes:

I just updated a heading and it's been 8 minutes (and it's still going). 3:25 am - 3:33 am Central. (Took so long, I ended up just refreshing the page, which also took so long (3 mins +) that I exited the entire campaign, lost my edits and started over).

Update: Saving/refreshing problem just happened again so I had to exit and start over. Even after exiting and re-opening campaign, it took 4 minutes for it to re-open 4:25 - 4:29 am

I also get error messages when I try to delete blocks (4:30 am), and I get the "aw snap, page unresponsive" message when I try to use the yellow save button at the top of the screen (throughout the night but recorded at 4:47 am)

Today, 8/23, I have been trying to make simple updates to some blocks and have had to wait up to five minutes for each field to save.

We use the 2nd Gen Editor. We are unable to move to the 3rd Gen Editor because of its current limitations.

I can understand things running slowly late at night for routine tasks such as back ups and routine maintenance but this has been going on now for many months. I chatted with someone last week who acknowledged there is an issue on some accounts but was unable to provide any information on when this will be resolved.

Can you?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Employee

Re: CC Running Slow at Nights and Weekends for Six Months!

Hello @DavinanewfreelistM,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I do apologize for the experience you have had with your account. I am submitting this case over to our advanced technical team to do some additional research on this issue. We will contact you tomorrow with an update. Thank you!

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Sadly, the issue is not resolved.

Highlighted

Hello @DavinanewfreelistM ,

Does this error or slowness only come up when using the Legacy Newsletter editor? We've received reports about the legacy editor having slowness issues at night. Our engineers are still collecting information on it, however the legacy editor is currently going through waves of retirement, so they're suggesting people look into making the switch to the current, mobile-friendly editor.

If you're interested in getting switched over before your account is retired, I'd recommend taking a look at our Knowledge Base for its plethora of helpful articles to ease the transition to our current, mobile-friendly email builder. For starters, you may be interested in this article on transitioning between the two builders

If you'd like one-on-one guidance, our general support agents can work with you live on the phone to get started as well. You can also request to have your legacy template remade in the new editor by one of the professional designers, or to have an entirely new one created for a price.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

William,

I sincerely hope that you will not be retiring the second generation editor. When the 3rd Gen came out I was concerned about its limitations and  was informed that the 2nd Gen would never be retired. There are fundamental issues that make it very difficult for me to transition our newsletters to the 3rd Gen editor.

These include:

No ability to access HTML - this turns the creation of one of our weekly newsletters from a 30 minute job to probably 3-4 hours as each block would have to be manually coded instead of being able to generate the HTML from our own admin system ready to use.

Inability to put dynamic content in the middle of a URL--this would make it impossible to create one of our newsletters that is sent to patrons of subscribing libraries - which relies on dynamic links being generated for each different library. Without this we would be in danger of losing our library business which would be devastating for us.

There are other issues but these are the two big ones.  I really like some of the new features in the 3rd Gen - such as A/B testing and responsive design and do use it for simple promotional emails. But I am sick with worry over your casual comment that the the 2nd Gen editor will be retired. What is the time scale on this?

Highlighted

@DavinanewfreelistM ,

Since the release of the current editor (what we typically call the third generation editor or 3ge) back in 2017, we've made a massive number of significant improvements. With that in mind the retirement of the old editor has been on the radar since release. I'm not sure who promised the old editor would "never be retired," but it comes down to the fact that the older editor has lower deliverability due to its incompatibility with a lot of modern email clients, especially in regards to its lack of mobile friendliness. Additionally some features of the legacy editor, such as anchor links, are completely defunct as the vast, vast majority of email clients refuse to work with such coding.

Would you be able to go into more depth as to how you currently use the HTML editing within the old editor? If you're mainly needing to affect coloring and spacing, I'm wondering what limitations you'd be facing in 3ge. One thing to keep in mind is that 3ge still needs to be mobile-compatible (not just friendly), and thus some design options may be slightly limited while our engineers look into ways they can be implemented respectively. Additionally, we do also have a custom code editor, so if you're already using your own HTML to build emails, you should be able to use the editor specifically made for having that code typed / pasted in.

Would you be able to elaborate on how you're unable to put dynamic links in the current editor? 3ge does have dynamic content blocks that can display / not display for certain contacts, based on how they're tagged or what fields you're setting as parameters. Both editors have to be able to automatically rewrite the link, to ensure the link tracking is meeting Compliance expectations. Have you recently tested the 3ge system to see if it functions the way you're expecting / needing it to?

As far as time frame, like I mentioned earlier it's been happening in waves so we can ensure people are given plenty of warning via email to get ready for the switch. Additionally, we've been doing it in waves so that we can also assist customers without being overwhelmed - supporting them in rebuilding templates in the new editor, assigning paid re-design projects, revitalizing their content and offering updated marketing info, etc.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your fast response. I have tried the new editor a number of times over the years and each time came across what seemed an insurmountable roadblock, such as with the dynamic links. I will try to carve out time later this week to have another go and see what I can make of it.

I appreciate many of the features of the new editor, not least being mobile compatible, and so have really wanted to move.  The custom code option might resolve the issue with the newsletter that I currently generate mostly with one large HTML dump.  Custom Code is an option with Gen 2 -- but I liked that I could essentially mix and match - using the WYSIWYG view for most and swapping over to HTML when needed.

I was particularly excited when trackable dynamic links were rolled out but when I tried to use them I could not create the type of link I needed. When I spoke to support to check if I was doing something wrong they said it is because the dynamic element cannot be embedded in the middle of a link - and this is critical for what I need to do -- e.g. website.com=ref=[dynamic link]/query parameter.  There are also times when it would be extremely helpful to be able to embed the dynamic element into the visible text of a dynamic link, but if I remember correctly, this is also not possible at the moment (e.g. to show visually the actual URL).

Realistically, how long is it until the old editor will be closed? How long do I have? Weeks? Months?

Highlighted

@DavinanewfreelistM , at this time we don't have a hard ETA on the final retirement of 2ge. It largely depends on our engineers and their monitoring. I know previously they'd been aiming to have it fully retired by sometime next year. So per your question you'd have "months" to get switched over fully to either customer code or 3ge.

William D

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

HTML is a must.  

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

YES event today Memorial Day 9/7 totally out of hand. 
EVERY SUNDAY non responsive. 

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured