Can I merge personalized URLs into a linked image?

WSSU
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

I have a list of contacts that includes a custom field containing a personalized URL for each record. 

I’d like to set up an email that contains a linked image in the body, and I’d like the link attached to this image to be unique to each recipient.

Can I merge the personalized URLs into a link so that each person gets their unique link?

How would I do this?

Thanks in advance!

-Laura 

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello @WSSU ,

You could use dynamic content for your setup. However, based on your description, to use dynamic content you'd essentially have to make a block with the coded link and image for each individual contact.

Otherwise, the only other viable solution, if you know HTML coding, would be to use the custom code editor to craft your own block and contact detail insertion setups.

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @WSSU ,

You could use dynamic content for your setup. However, based on your description, to use dynamic content you'd essentially have to make a block with the coded link and image for each individual contact.

Otherwise, the only other viable solution, if you know HTML coding, would be to use the custom code editor to craft your own block and contact detail insertion setups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
WSSU
Campaign Expert
0 Votes

Thank you for responding, Wiliam D. Since there are potentially thousands of contacts in my list, each with a different URL, I can't see manually creating a block for each contact. I do know HTML for webstuff, but am still fuzzy on how Constant Contact can merge a full URL (from the URL field in the contact record) into the image link.   

To test, I created an email using the custom code editor. I inserted an image and added the <a href> code using the [[custom.field_name]] in the place of the URL. The intent is for Constant Contact to be able to merge the full URL from the contact record into the link. It appears that CC requires that a static URL be used and perhaps it can merge in appended parameters? This seems to be the issue using the regular editor as well. It seem you can add a link to the image, use a static first part of the URL and pull in just the variable piece.

I guess my next test step would be to see if I can strip off the main domain piece of the URLs in each record. Does this sound like I'm even remotely on track?     

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I would have absolutely no further insight on this. Especially when it comes to custom code, unless it's something that requires troubleshooting of the editor itself, our support teams can't really help with writing code for an email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
ShaneK87
Rookie
0 Votes

I am having this same issue. Did you figure this one out?

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST