Cluster several similar emails into one campaign

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frequent Participant

Cluster several similar emails into one campaign

We have a touch-up spray paint product which is manufacturer specific and want to send similar targeted email to each group, however individually these are very small groups ie 16, 64, 28 etc and one spam flag would kill it.

To further explain we have company A, B, C and D

We want to send the same basic ad for each group,  ie Hi Company [A, B, C or D] we offer touch-up spray paint in your colors [list of colors or image swatches with names] click here to see them online //link what would be useful is if there was a way to bundle these ads, or some other way to send these 'micro' campaigns without them getting killed by a single spam flag -which I assume is percentage based since when we first started with Constant Contact a few years ago I did a small mailing of 150 or so people and one spam flag got it blacklisted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Frequent Participant

Thank you for the information. And yes, my larger concern is being targeted for spam. We have both people who signed up directly and people who are our active customers and members of the same trade organization. However we had an experience early on where we sent a campaign to a small group of a couple hundred and we got flagged for spam and were blacklisted. My understanding is that being flagged for spam is about the % of spam flags compared to the total number of emails sent - is that correct? So when we send to out full list of 8000 one spam is not a big deal. If we send to 250 and get a spam flag then we could be in trouble. In this instance these smaller groups individually might range from 16 to say 50 and so a single person in a bad mood, or who is cleaning out his inbox and is getting more email than usual from multiple sources can decide they are getting too much advertising type email and flag us along with all the rest. If I am right about the % to total emails then it would only take one to mess us up so if I can't avoid that then it isn't worth doing the micro targeted mailings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Administrator

Hi @Burt13447. You can create a targeted campaign for each group if each recipient needed to have different content or create one email if the copy was going to be the same for all. If the copy was going to be the same, you can use a greeting to make the email sound more personalized. To go a step further, you can use dynamic content to show different blocks depending on who is receiving the email

It seems like your larger concern is about being reported for spam. Have these contacts previously opted in to receive campaigns from you? Do you have a previous business relationship with them? If the answer to both of these questions is "no", there is a much higher chance that your email can be reported as spam. No matter how the email was sent out (whether in one single send or multiple), if we see large amounts of spam reports, this can have a negative impact on your account. As long as you have permission to email these contacts and they expect to hear from you, the risk of being reported for spam is much lower. 

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Frequent Participant

Thank you for the information. And yes, my larger concern is being targeted for spam. We have both people who signed up directly and people who are our active customers and members of the same trade organization. However we had an experience early on where we sent a campaign to a small group of a couple hundred and we got flagged for spam and were blacklisted. My understanding is that being flagged for spam is about the % of spam flags compared to the total number of emails sent - is that correct? So when we send to out full list of 8000 one spam is not a big deal. If we send to 250 and get a spam flag then we could be in trouble. In this instance these smaller groups individually might range from 16 to say 50 and so a single person in a bad mood, or who is cleaning out his inbox and is getting more email than usual from multiple sources can decide they are getting too much advertising type email and flag us along with all the rest. If I am right about the % to total emails then it would only take one to mess us up so if I can't avoid that then it isn't worth doing the micro targeted mailings.

View solution in original post

Hello @Burt13447 ,

While I can't personally speak to the exact processes of the Review team, generally they have set thresholds as well for things such as unsubs, spam reports, etc. So if you've already called in regarding this issue, and you've spoken with them about what might have occurred, it's likely that they've adjusted your settings if they've confirmed you're a trusted sender / using a trusted IP. For more details, you may wish to call into them directly for a more in-depth run-down, especially if you're still concerned about having to micromanage your contacts to avoid triggering a future review.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Frequent Participant

Thank you. I was anticipating an automated process and didn't consider that they could fine tune individual accounts. I will reach out when we are ready to go on this.