Compliance with European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

SOLVED
Go to solution

Compliance with European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

From what I understand of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), personal information on European citizens will need to be physically stored in EU data centers.  It seems to me that contact information (names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.) stored in Constant Contact qualifies as personal information.

I cannot find any reference to the GDPR on the Constant Contact website or community forums.

What is Constant Contact doing to ensure that its customers will be GDPR-compliant when these regulations take effect in 2018?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello all,

Because Constant Contact has always been a permission-based email marketing system, we've already got many tools that will help our customers who may have GDPR obligations and we'll be adding more. We have developed a guide that goes over GDPR and covers tools they can use right away. Click here for the guide. This guide can also be found in our Help Center. As more information and tools become available we will update our customers here and elsewhere.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
Occasional Participant

Please can you produce an opt-in email template for the new GDPR EU laws coming in to effect on 25 May. The email should simply ask the question 'Do you wish to continue receiving our special offers' - obviously this bit should be editable. Then 2 buttons - Yes or No. If they say no, then this should automatically add them to the unsubscribe list, ensuring that we are complaint. I do believe that many of your customers will need and use this. Interested to see if i am right from other members.

Hi @VickyL10

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your emails. We are currently working towards being GDPR compliant. In fact, more information will be provided as it progresses. Here's a helpful reference we have with more details. In the meantime, the good news is we do offer email templates that allow your contacts to opt-out. In the footer of every email you send is an “Unsubscribe link.”

third-gen-editor-updated-footer-unsubscribe-link (1).png

Clicking this link will automatically add them to the unsubscribe list in your account. I also would suggest taking a look at the CASL template in your account.

2018-03-29_17-06-52.png

This template is geared to helping our customers comply with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation. However it includes a button that contacts can click on to confirm they want to continue receiving your emails. I hope this helps!

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

I too have been trying to work out a way to do this and the function doesn't exist.  The button to unsubscribe at the bottom of the email is not enough. To comply with GDPR, every new contact added after 25 May will have to receive an opt-in email invitation. With a very clear call to action of; "Yes subscribe me" or "No remove me". Those who click "Yes", would need a note added to their contact record to say when they clicked "YES", and those who clicked "NO", would need to be added to the unsubscribe list. (The administrator would then have to manually export this list, (as often as they can), and update their other databases. 

If the contact has not responded to this email invitation, really it would be good if the email would generate itself, say weekly, or it could be up to you when, so that they keep receiving the email until they select "YES" or "NO". 

I'd like to think that all new contacts can be added to mailing lists, but until they click "YES", they automatically do not receive mail shots. However when they do click "YES", they automatically start to receive any mailshots sent to the list which they have been added to. 

Interested to hear others thoughts on this. 

Frequent Participant

Yes! That is exactly what is needed! 

There is now a GDPR template in the same place as the CASL template. 

I think this helps but I don't think this solves the problem.  

1. You would have to keep re-creating the email and sending to a "Not Confirmed" list of contacts. (The reason I see for this is because eventually the email will disappear from the quick send list). Also if you have different languages (which we do), you will need different versions of this email. 

2. You would have to then export all of the results (daily/weekly??), and split the list by Express/Implied Permission Status; then re-import the new "Express Permission" contacts into your main mailing list/lists. Leaving the "Not Confirmed" in what I am calling this "holding list". (There is no way to "View" the Express/Implied status column in "Contact Management" - if there was, then you could sort the list by status and switch "Express Permission" contacts over (manually) - I think this would be a lot quicker than the import/export way.)

For me, I'd have to have certainly three versions of the email (English, Italian, French), and therefore three "holding lists". But I see it being a problem when trying to split out this list into;

1. Express/Implied Permission (for re-import into their main mailing list)

2. Trying to ensure they are added to the correct list (ie, Italy, France, USA)

So in reality, to avoid confusion, I would have to have 8 "holding lists" to match my 8 main mailing lists/territories. Plus 8 "Welcome/GDPR" emails. 

Ideal Scenario 1

What I believe to be one ideal scenario is that "Groups" are added to contact lists, so you can send emails based on Groups. ie, I could email my "Italy" list, but only those who have clicked "yes" (Express Permission). BUT, (for us, and this will apply to some others), we want to still be able to email those added before 25th May. SO by using groups, we would have THREE groups per mailing list.

1, Express Permission (or YES)

2. Implied Permissoin (or NO)

3. Permission before 25th May.

I could then select options when sending the email that I only want to send the email to those who match the criteria set out in no 1. and 3. 

This is an option available on a competitor site. 

Ideal Scenario 2 (probably the most straight forward for everyone)

You decide when you want this feature to be switched on (so for us it would be 25th May). When the feature is switched ON, all new contacts are added to their lists as normal. However, there is a barrier on them. This barrier is the CONSENT barrier. And they will not receive ANY mail shots to that list (which they are on), until they click "YES" to consent. If they click "NO" they are automatically moved to the unsubscribe list. 

Until the point of which they click YES or NO; you can set up....

1. The welcome email they should receive (So you could have a version to suit each list, or perhaps 3 versions to suit 8 lists. I for example could have an; ENglish, FRench and ITalian version of the email. So the English version would send to my; USA, UK, Ireland, International lists. Then French and Italian is self explanatory. 

2. The frequency they should receive this email. For example, I'd maybe set it to be send the day after they are added to the contact list, at 9am, then weekly thereafter.... until they click YES or NO. 

I think though, we would have to re-import all our existing contacts before 25th May, including the CONSENT field, and set those as "YES" and add a note "Before 25 May 2018" - as we do not want to get extra permission from these contacts. 

These are just my thoughts, really interested to hear others and what new tools CC are implementing this month, well in advance of 25 May?? 

Occasional Participant

You should take steps to comply with GDPR.
Occasional Participant

on the GDPR survey the Yes No select buttons are not showing on a preview test email so no links to state yes or no.... also where do results show??  looking for consent forms to go and get results ?

Hi @colletteo1,

Sorry you are having issues with your email.  What email client program are you looking at the preview test send in?  Are you looking at it on a desktop, or mobile?  When I send a test of your email to myself I see the buttons and I am able to click each one.

Once you have sent the email, the results will show in the email reporting for that particular campaign.

We do have a new template for GDPR consent documentation that you can also send, as well as additional information regarding GDPR that you might want to take a look at.

Donna_P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Hello all,

Because Constant Contact has always been a permission-based email marketing system, we've already got many tools that will help our customers who may have GDPR obligations and we'll be adding more. We have developed a guide that goes over GDPR and covers tools they can use right away. Click here for the guide. This guide can also be found in our Help Center. As more information and tools become available we will update our customers here and elsewhere.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

View solution in original post

Occasional Participant

Hi thank you for your reply

I have sent a test mail and none of the buttons appear on desktop, they appear on preview but not the actual test sent ! 

any help appreciated 

@colletteo1

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I'm sorry to hear the buttons in the email are not displaying properly! We definitely want to take a look into this issue for you.

Please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, email campaign name, and a reference to this post and we will investigate further!

Taryn Leinweber

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Participant

Hello All, 

Due to the new law from May 25th, 2018 I am wanting to add a unsubscribe button to my email body for my contacts to be able to unsubscribe automatically and not have to send an email wishing to do so! I know its in the footer of the emails already but want a more visual one for this specific email. 

Please, can someone help...  

Thank you 

Hi @First-NameL904546,

Thank you for reaching out to the Constant Contact Community.  I’d be happy to assist you today.

We do not currently have a way to insert an unsubscribe option in the body of a campaign.  We do have a feature request that I will add you to for that function, so you can be notified if it becomes available.  Some customers put a reminder in the body of the email to go to the footer to unsubscribe, but normally the footer is the first place most recipients go to for the unsubscribe.

Information about the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) can be found at this link.  You will also want to send the new GDPR email template to gain and document express consent from your contacts

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Donna_P.

Frequent Participant

Ive send a premade gdpr consent template email out to around 4000 emails. It contained the opt in  link in the middle of the email, but since last friday i have not received any confirmations, or click throughs. 

Where would i find the subscribers who have given me consent? I cant believe that not one out of 4000 has said yes. In fact i even replied to the email with my own email address and i cant see my own 'opt in' response.

Please assist with where this info may be hiding.

Hi @JonB3,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. At this current time, the soft opt-in links are not being tracked and reported within our system. I have tracked this request to your account, notifying our developers to potentially add this tracking feature to the GDPR templates. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. It is possible that they have given consent, but those who have chosen to opt-out have done so by clicking on the unsubscribe link. Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Frequent Participant

What a completely pointless email template then! The whole point of getting ready for GDPR is to gain  consent, not to soak up the people who haven't bothered to open, read and action the email.

What exactly does the 'Yes continue sending me emails' button on the email template do then?

I think Constant Contact have made a big mistake here, with only a month left too. Poor showing.

Occasional Participant

I totally agree - I sent the email out to my contacts to comply with the GDPR rules by requesting confirmation that they still wanted to hear from me - so if I don't know who has clicked the link how can I comply. 

Now I'm going to look like a complete idiot if I have to ask them again, or worse I'll be contacting them when they have not agreed.

Frequent Participant

I found that the above information given by the moderator was incorrect.

If you go into your 'my settings' page from the icon on the top right of your screen you can 'enable enhanced email permissions' on the left. Then when you look at your contact you can filter by clients who have given explicit consent.

Occasional Participant

OK that appears to be working now - thanks for the help!

Hey @SteveC31,

You are welcome. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with today.

Tiago_R

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing

Hi @JonB3 and @SteveC31,

I think what Lucas meant to say, is that the clicks on that button are not being currently reported in the email reporting, BUT the contact is still being changed to a permission status of "Express permission" when they do click on that button.  You will see two folders on the left in your Contacts Management page: "Implied Permission" and "Express Permission". 

When you send that template, your contacts you send to get put in the "Implied Permissions" folder and their permission status is set to "Implied" until they click the button.  Once they click the button, they will be seen in the "Express Permission" folder as it changes the permission status in their contact record to Express.2018-04-24_0417.png.

You can see all of the contacts that clicked the button by clicking on the Express Permission folder on your Contact Management page.  Hope that helps clear that up!

Donna_P.