Contact keeps showing old email

SOLVED
Go to solution
ValeriaC1
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi!

When I try to update the contact, I get this message "This email address already exists in your account" and the contact will not update to the current email.

Thanks
Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Hello @ValeriaC1 ,

There's likely a permissions or compliance-hold on that particular contact. You can do one of the following:

• Add the new contact with the updated address as a wholly new contact, then delete the old one

Or, if you're wishing to keep engagement history:

• Add the email you're attempting to change it to, using the Type or Paste Contacts option. Then, change the email address of the newly added contact to something random, such as test@test.com, but DO NOT delete it yet. Once this is done, you should be able to update the original contact with the newer address and THEN delete the newer contact you changed to have the junk email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
William_A
Administrator

Hello @ValeriaC1 ,

There's likely a permissions or compliance-hold on that particular contact. You can do one of the following:

• Add the new contact with the updated address as a wholly new contact, then delete the old one

Or, if you're wishing to keep engagement history:

• Add the email you're attempting to change it to, using the Type or Paste Contacts option. Then, change the email address of the newly added contact to something random, such as test@test.com, but DO NOT delete it yet. Once this is done, you should be able to update the original contact with the newer address and THEN delete the newer contact you changed to have the junk email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user413179
Rookie
0 Votes

I did this and it worked, so I'm grateful for the workaround. But I hesitate to give a thumbs up for what is certainly a bug in the Constant Contact system. The fact that you can create a brand-new contact with the email address without any problem of permission or compliance-hold means you SHOULD be able to just update the email address as desired without all these intermediate steps.

Ideally, you need to report this as a bug and get it fixed.

Thanks.

ElsieK96
Rookie
0 Votes

I just followed this and it worked for me. And I'm so glad because I was getting frustrated. But I agree; this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST