Dear Constant Contact & Frankie_P

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

While on the phone with your team recently, your representative told us that any email that begins with marketing@ does not receive an email during a campaign. Even if we have marketing@ addresses on approved on our email list, no email is sent to these people. We tested this and found out that it is indeed true.

Question 1: As Constant Contact charges by the size of our mailing list, are we charged for all the marketing@ email addresses on our email list even though they do not receive emails when we send out a campaign?

Question 2: Are there other email prefixes such as sales@ or info@ that are also not emailed to during a campaign that we may also be paying for with no benefit?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Dear Constant Contact & Frankie_P

Hey there @JohnR4231,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this. With role addresses - due to the number of people that could have access to these addresses, and in order to make sure we're protecting delivery rates and complying with anti-spam legislation - we are unable to send to most of these types. They typically have a generic names, such as sales@, billing@, admin@, etc.

I would recommend getting rid of such contacts as they will not be able to be sent to in our system. You can find more info on contact list cleaning here.

Only inactive contacts (contacts without permissions, unsubscribed contacts) are not counted in your total. Role addresses would function much like bounces - and we recommend you either delete or unsubscribe them to make sure you're not being charged for them.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dear William,

Wouldn't it make sense then for Constant Contact to purge these email addresses that go nowhere so customers are not charged for a service they think they are getting but are really not?

Couldn't I, in theory, upload a list of 10,000 addresses that all start with marketing@, send email to this list, have no emails sent to anyone, and be billed by Constant Contact for about $100 a month, and not know that no emails were sent.  In the end wouldn't we say we had a basic assumption that the customer paid CC to send emails but CC (a) sent no emails and (b) didn't tell me about it.

While it would be unusual for a customer to upload 10,000 emails like this, it seems that it is indeed possible that CC can bill for a service it does not provide and the customer would be none the wiser.  In theory, it seems that this can indeed happen.

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi @JohnR4231 

I can understand how helpful it would be to have a feature like this in our system. However our system does not remove role addresses from the accounts of any of our users. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. With that said, though our system doesn’t send to most role addresses there are some that we do mail to. Here’s an article from our Help Center that helps go over the experience of sending to role addresses through Constant Contact.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.